How Much Weight Can an 8mm Diameter Steel Bar Safely Support?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 12K views
dblanche
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
The Ultimate tensile strength of steel is 470MPa.

Assuming a factor of safety of 5 the maximum working load an 8.00mm diameter round steel bar should support against gravity is?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
And the work you have done so far towards solving the problem is... ?

<see my signature>
 
I have used every formula that I can think of, I've used the following equations:



Stress= Force / Area
470 x 10E06 = force / 5.03 x 10E-05
Force = 23624.78 N

then multiply 23624.78 by the factor of safety being 5
= 118123.9 Newtons?


Don't really know how to do it, could you please give us some hints?
 
dblanche said:
I have used every formula that I can think of, I've used the following equations:
Stress= Force / Area
470 x 10E06 = force / 5.03 x 10E-05
Force = 23624.78 N
This is correct. You've calculated the maximum load.

then multiply 23624.78 by the factor of safety being 5
= 118123.9 Newtons?
There's a small error here. Should the allowable load be 5 times the maximum load ? What happens to the rod if you apply a load greater than the maximum load ?

Before you do any calculation involving numbers, first write down all the necessary equations using symbols to represent the various quantities involved. Plug in the numbers only after you've arrived at a final equation with the required unknown on one side, and all the knowns on the other.
 
No the allowable load would not be 5 times the maximum load, you divide this maximum load by 5 to give the maximum working load, which is 472.5 kg or 4724.96 Newtons........

Thanks for your help