1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much work is required to stop an electron

1. Jun 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How much work is required to stop an electron (m=9.11×10−31kg) which is moving with a speed of 1.40×10^6 m/s ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

E.g a particle has KE=10J. The work that must be done on it to stop it is -10J.

So work out the kinetic energy of the electron(½mv²) and put a minus sign in front. I get -8.93x10⁻¹⁹ J.

but when i answer the question it says i am wrong? can someone please help me

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2015 #2
    No need of minus sign dear.
    Minus sign represents the direction. But question don's ask a direction. So remove the minus sign. Then it'll be okay.:smile:

4. Jun 23, 2015 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Technically, you are correct: The work done must be negative. But apparently they just want the magnitude of the work, not the sign.

5. Jun 23, 2015 #4

it still says incorrect when i take out the negative which makes no sense bc i have no other way to get another answer.

6. Jun 23, 2015 #5

it still continues to say that it is incorrect, which makes no sense bc i know i did it correctly, i have no other way to get another answer. i don't know what is wrong with my answer.

7. Jun 23, 2015 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Do they specify the units they want you to use? (Joules makes sense, but there are other units.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted