How must a voltmeter be connected in a circuit?

In summary, a voltmeter should be connected in parallel with the component you want to measure the voltage across in both series and parallel circuits. Placing it anywhere else or connecting it in reverse polarity can result in incorrect readings. It can also be used to measure the voltage of a live circuit, but safety precautions should be taken. If connected in reverse polarity, the voltmeter will give a negative reading.
jimbo71

Homework Statement

How must a voltmeter be connected in a circuit to measure voltage across a resistor and why?

Homework Equations

Vv=Ifs(Rc+Rs)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the voltmeter must be connected parallel to the series with its terminals on either side of the resistor.

Physics news on Phys.org

... why?

I'm not sure

1. How do I connect a voltmeter in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltmeter must be connected in parallel with the resistor or component that you want to measure the voltage across. This means that the positive lead of the voltmeter should be connected to one end of the resistor, and the negative lead to the other end.

2. Can I place the voltmeter anywhere in the circuit?

No, a voltmeter must be placed in parallel with the component you want to measure the voltage across. Placing it anywhere else in the circuit will give incorrect readings.

3. How should a voltmeter be connected in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltmeter should be connected in the same way as in a series circuit - in parallel with the component you want to measure the voltage across. This means connecting the positive lead to one end of the component, and the negative lead to the other end.

4. Can I use a voltmeter to measure the voltage of a live circuit?

Yes, a voltmeter can be used to measure the voltage of a live circuit. However, it is important to follow safety precautions and ensure that the voltmeter has an appropriate range and is connected correctly in the circuit.

5. What happens if I connect the voltmeter in reverse polarity?

If a voltmeter is connected in reverse polarity, meaning the positive lead is connected to the negative end of a component, it will give a negative reading. This is because the voltmeter is essentially measuring the voltage difference between its two leads, and by reversing the polarity, the difference becomes negative.