How parameter affects the roots of the equation.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the largest real root, denoted as r, of the equation x^3 - x + C = 0 and its relationship to the constant C. The conversation also discusses finding the derivative dr/dc and its calculation. Assistance with finding the roots and links to resources on cubic equations are also mentioned.
tysonk
I have trouble figuring out this problem. If someone can help me out that would be appreciated.
Suppose we have x^3 -x + C
let r denote the largest root of the equation.
What's a mathematical way of relating r and C?
(quantitative).
Also what's dr/dc

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
tysonk said:
I have trouble figuring out this problem. If someone can help me out that would be appreciated.
Suppose we have x^3 -x + C
let r denote the largest root of the equation.
What you have above is not an equation.
Did you mean x^3 - x + C = 0? That's an equation.
tysonk said:
What's a mathematical way of relating r and C?
Just as a guess, you would have to find the solutions to the cubic equation x^3 - x + C = 0 (assuming that's the equation here).

Depending on the value of C, there will be:
  • 3 real solutions
  • 2 real solutions, with one that is repeated
  • 1 real solution, and two complex solutions

When you say that r is the largest solution, do you mean largest real solution?
tysonk said:
(quantitative).
Also what's dr/dc

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, largest real root. The equation you have is correct. So how would I got about finding r (or expressing it). And then also finding the derivative. I suspect that it has something to do with linear approximations or Newton's Method but am not sure how to go about doing it. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for your reply.
Hmm looking back at the question. It just says "give some quantitative information about r."
"Calculate dr/dc"

For dr/dc I did,

y=x^3 -x + c =0

r^3 -r +c = 0

finding the derivative of that i got
dr/dc = 1/ (3r^2 -1)
I used the fact that c is not a constant yet it is a function of r... I'm not sure if I'm right.

It should be dr/dc = -1/(3r^2 - 1)

1. How does changing a parameter affect the roots of an equation?

Changing a parameter in an equation can affect the roots in various ways. It can shift the position of the roots on the graph, create new roots, or eliminate existing roots. The specific effect on the roots depends on the type and value of the parameter.

2. Can changing a parameter change the number of roots in an equation?

Yes, changing a parameter can change the number of roots in an equation. For example, in a quadratic equation, changing the value of the coefficient of the squared term can create two distinct roots or eliminate the roots altogether.

3. Is it possible for a parameter to have no effect on the roots of an equation?

Yes, it is possible for a parameter to have no effect on the roots of an equation. This can happen when the parameter's value does not directly affect the equation's variables or when the parameter's value is canceled out by other terms in the equation.

4. How can I determine the effect of a parameter on the roots of an equation?

The best way to determine the effect of a parameter on the roots of an equation is by analyzing the equation's graph. By plugging in different values for the parameter and observing the changes in the graph, you can determine how the roots are affected.

5. Can a parameter have a non-numerical value and still affect the roots of an equation?

Yes, a parameter can have a non-numerical value and still affect the roots of an equation. This can happen in equations that involve variables like complex numbers or matrices. In such cases, the parameter's value can change the nature of the solutions or the number of solutions.