Probability of equal roots in equation

In summary: I meant order matters. I guess it should be 7P3. I had one more doubt. In the question it says that the values of a, b, and c are distinct. Does that mean that they can't be equal or does it mean that they can't be equal to each other?In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of a quadratic equation with distinct values of a, b, and c from 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 9 having equal roots. The correct method is to use 7P3 instead of 7C3 since order matters. The use of "distinct" in the question means that the values of a, b,
jaus tail

Homework Statement

A quadratic eqn of form ax2 + bx + c = 0 is selected. The values of a, b and c are distinct and selected from 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9. What is probability of chosen equation to have equal roots?

Homework Equations

root = (-b +/- Sqrt(b2-4ac)) / (2a)
For equal roots b2 = 4ac[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

well i found out that for b2 = 4ac, the conditions are
b=6, a = 1, c = 9.
b=6, a = 9, c = 1.

Probability = no. of likely events/total no. of events.
Probability of A and B to occur = P(A)*P(B)

Case 1---
So probability of value of a to be 6 is 1/7. (as total 7 numbers are there)
Probability of value of b to be 1 is 1/7
Probability of c to be 9 is 1/7.

Case 2---
Likewise Probability of a to be 6 is again 1/7
P(b=9) = 1/7
P(c=1) = 1/7

P(equal roots) = P(case 1) + P(case 2)
= 1/73 + 1/73
=2/343

But in solutions it goes like: there are two ways in which condition can be achieved for equal roots.
Total ways = 7P3.
So P(equal roots) = 2/(7P3)

Why is my method wrong? And why should it be 7P3 and not 7C3?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Since a must be 6, there are not 7 possibilities for b and c. And after b is chosen, there are not 6 possibilities for c.

Edit: P instead of C because it matters which number is chosen for which letter. If we are picking a,b,c then 6,1,9 is not equivalent to 9,1,6.

Thanks for the reply. So it would be 1/7 * 1/6 * 1/5 + (same as first term)

But when we say two cards were pulled from a pack of 52, we say 52C2, we don't go as 52C1 * 51C1.

jaus tail said:

Why is my method wrong?

You've solved the problem where ##a, b, c## need not be distinct, as you've included all the cases where ##a=b## etc.

jaus tail said:
Thanks for the reply. So it would be 1/7 * 1/6 * 1/5 + (same as first term)

But when we say two cards were pulled from a pack of 52, we say 52C2, we don't go as 52C1 * 51C1.

We'll that depends. Most card games don't make a distinction based on the order you get the cards. So: 6-Hearts + 8-Clubs is the same as 8-Clubs + 6-Hearts.

The number of 2-card hands is, therefore, ##(52 \times 51)/2 = \binom{52}{2}##

But, if you have a situation where the order the cards get dealt matters, then 6-Hearts + 8-Clubs is different from 8-Clubs + 6-Hearts and the number of 2-card draws is: ##52 \times 51 = 52P2##

In your problem ##a =1, b = 2, c = 3## is very different from ##a = 3, b = 2, c =1##.

jaus tail said:
... But when we say two cards were pulled from a pack of 52, we say 52C2, we don't go as 52C1 * 51C1.
Well we might. But having got 52C1 x 51C1 we would have calculated 52P2 and would then divide by 2P1 (or 2!) to get 52C2 if that was what we wanted.

Depending on what you mean by "two cards were pulled from a pack" you may want 52C2 or 52P2. As pointed out before, in the quadratic problem, you wanted P rather than C, so 52C1 x 51C1 was right, giving you 52P2.

The values of a, b and c are distinct and selected from 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9. What is probability of chosen equation to have equal roots?
This seems to say that either it is impossible to select the same number twice (equivalent to choice without replacement), or that any duplicate choices are ignored, which boils down to the same thing, since the only results you look at are the ones that you would have got without replacement.

You therefore seem to be interpreting the question as, "a,b and c are selected from {1,2,3,4,6,8,9}: what is the probability that they are distinct and give equal roots?"
I'm not saying this is an impossible interpretation, but it seems to me an odd way of stating the question if that was the intended interpretation.

Merlin3189 said:
This seems to say that either it is impossible to select the same number twice (equivalent to choice without replacement), or that any duplicate choices are ignored, which boils down to the same thing, since the only results you look at are the ones that you would have got without replacement.

You therefore seem to be interpreting the question as, "a,b and c are selected from {1,2,3,4,6,8,9}: what is the probability that they are distinct and give equal roots?"
I'm not saying this is an impossible interpretation, but it seems to me an odd way of stating the question if that was the intended interpretation.

I deleted my previous post, because I had missed the word "distinct" in the OP, and so my post was misleading and irrelevant.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I guess the distinct matters like 6,1,9 isn't same as 9,1,6 but when you're picking cards it doesn't matter that you get 9, Ace, 6 or 6, Ace, 9 since in cards its the combination that's more important than order.

jaus tail said:
Thanks a lot for the replies. I guess the distinct matters like 6,1,9 isn't same as 9,1,6 but when you're picking cards it doesn't matter that you get 9, Ace, 6 or 6, Ace, 9 since in cards its the combination that's more important than order.
I assume you mean order matters, not distinct matters.
If you decide to pick a number and assign it to a, pick another and assign it to b, and a third to c (say) then the order matters.
If you just pick the three numbers first then decide how to assign them, the order in which you pick them does not matter, but it does matter how you assign them. Either way, it's 7P3.

haruspex said:
I assume you mean order matters, not distinct matters.
If you decide to pick a number and assign it to a, pick another and assign it to b, and a third to c (say) then the order matters.
If you just pick the three numbers first then decide how to assign them, the order in which you pick them does not matter, but it does matter how you assign them. Either way, it's 7P3.
Yeah...thanks for correcting me...

1. What is the probability of equal roots in a quadratic equation?

The probability of equal roots in a quadratic equation is dependent on the coefficients of the equation. If the discriminant, b^2-4ac, is equal to 0, then the equation will have equal roots. This means that the probability of equal roots is determined by the value of the discriminant.

2. How do you calculate the probability of equal roots in a cubic equation?

In a cubic equation, the probability of equal roots can be calculated by finding the discriminant of the equation. If the discriminant is equal to 0, then the equation will have equal roots. However, if the discriminant is not equal to 0, then the equation will have either one real root or three real roots.

3. What is the relationship between the discriminant and the probability of equal roots?

The discriminant is a key factor in determining the probability of equal roots in an equation. If the discriminant is equal to 0, then the equation will have equal roots, resulting in a higher probability. However, if the discriminant is not equal to 0, then the probability of equal roots decreases.

4. How does the number of solutions in an equation affect the probability of equal roots?

The number of solutions in an equation does not directly affect the probability of equal roots. However, the number of solutions is determined by the value of the discriminant, which in turn affects the probability of equal roots. If the discriminant is equal to 0, then the equation will have equal roots and only one solution. If the discriminant is not equal to 0, then the equation will have two distinct solutions.

5. Can the probability of equal roots be greater than 1?

No, the probability of equal roots cannot be greater than 1. Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, and it is always expressed as a decimal or fraction between 0 and 1. Therefore, the probability of equal roots in an equation will always be between 0 and 1, depending on the value of the discriminant.