How quantizable matter gravitates

• Thread starter friend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, the conversation discusses a video by Frederic P Schuller claiming that gravity can be derived from the Standard Model, which is seen as a possible solution to the search for quantum gravity. However, there are some limitations to this theory and it may not fully unify general relativity and quantum mechanics. The speaker also mentions the possibility of deriving matter theories from symmetries of a lagrangian and questions if the vacuum energy in the Standard Model can account for gravitational waves. The conversation ends with a request for a paper on the topic.
friend
Here's a video that claims that gravity can be derived from the Standard Model.
See the Video.

The video is by Frederic P Schuller.

Isn't this exactly what Einstein was trying to accomplish in the last 30 years of his life - to unite EM and GR?

Or isn't this exactly what quantum gravity would do - derive the metric from the quantum theory of matter?

If so, I find it absolutely amazing that the speaker does not actually say so.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
friend said:
Here's a video that claims that gravity can be derived from the Standard Model.
See the Video.

He has a book on it here.

This looks very interesting but as I gather from a quick look this is about classical (not quantum) theories. "Quantizability" is imposed as a constraint, but the results seem to concern classical description, e.g, he derives Einstein-Hilbert action from Maxwell equations under his assumptions.

So there doesn't seem to be a QG theory there (yet), though perhaps a possible road towards a QG.

Would that be a fair asessment?

wabbit said:
So there doesn't seem to be a QG theory there (yet), though perhaps a possible road towards a QG.

Would that be a fair asessment?

Give me some time. I'm going through his video series and will probably have to read his 150 page paper. But from what I can tell, he seems to have accomplished exactly what Einstein was trying to do in the last 30 years of his life - uniting gravity and electromagnetism. I'm surprised not more is made of this accomplishment.

Ah yes sorry, yes what he does can be described as "unifying GR and EM" - but my point was that, even with the "quantizable matter" condition this seems a far cry from unifying GR and QM. Also I only looked at the book, not the videos, maybe he went further after the book.

wabbit said:
...but my point was that, even with the "quantizable matter" condition this seems a far cry from unifying GR and QM.
No, the video does not seem to go into depth on the necessity of quantum theory.

Perhaps the quantum theory is necessary to get the classical theory to begin with. As I understand it, all these matter theories (EM, weak bosons, quarks, etc) are derived from symmetries of a lagrangian. I seem to remember people saying that you could get all these electrons and quarks by first imposing that the action must have the SU(3)SU(2)U(1) symmetries. Or perhaps, for example, if the Feynman path integral were necessary from first principles, that may be where the minimum action principle comes from to begin with.

Possibly yes, but now you've gone way past my limited understanding : )

The speaker on the video seems to be claiming that GR can be derived from the Standard Model. Isn't this an answer to the search for quantum gravity? And does this allow for gravitational waves, where there is no matter but there is gravity. In other words, is the vacuum energy a sufficient part of the SM to account for gravitational waves by the thesis in the video?

Again, here is the Video.

Is there a paper ? I won't watch a one hour video : )

What is quantizable matter?

Quantizable matter refers to particles or objects that can be described and measured using quantum mechanics, a branch of physics that explains the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale.

How does quantizable matter gravitate?

Quantizable matter gravitates in the same way as non-quantizable matter, through the force of gravity. According to the theory of general relativity, the mass and energy of an object or particle determines the strength of its gravitational pull.

Why is it important to understand how quantizable matter gravitates?

Understanding how quantizable matter gravitates is important because it allows us to better understand the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of particles and objects in the universe. It also helps us to develop more accurate models and theories of the universe.

Can we observe the gravitational effects of quantizable matter?

Yes, we can observe the gravitational effects of quantizable matter. For example, quantum fluctuations in the early universe are thought to have contributed to the formation of galaxies and large-scale structures we see today. Additionally, the behavior of particles in high-energy experiments, such as those conducted at the Large Hadron Collider, can also provide evidence for the gravitational effects of quantizable matter.

Are there any unanswered questions about how quantizable matter gravitates?

Yes, there are still many unanswered questions about how quantizable matter gravitates. For example, scientists are still trying to unify the theory of general relativity, which describes gravity at a large scale, with quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at a small scale. There is also ongoing research into the nature of dark matter and dark energy, which are thought to make up a large portion of the universe but have not yet been fully understood.