Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How reduced density matrix obtained from the matrix.

1. Jun 19, 2016 #1
    Can any expert help me in explaining how this example below get the reduced density matrix from the density matrix in bipartite system.
    $$\rho =\frac{1}{4}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})-sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})+sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) \\ 1 & 1 & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})-sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})+sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) \\ cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})-sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})-sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & 1-sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & cos(\frac{\alpha}{4}) \\ cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})+sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2})+sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & cos(\frac{\alpha}{4}) & 1+sin(\alpha)\end{pmatrix}$$

For the subsystems, this yields, as below.

$$\rho_\text{A}=Tr_\text{B}(\rho)=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1 & cos(\frac{\alpha}{2}) \\ cos(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & 1\end{pmatrix}$$

and

$$\rho_\text{B}=Tr_\text{A}(\rho)=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1-\frac{1}{2}sin(\alpha) & cos^2(\frac{\alpha}{2}) \\ cos^2(\frac{\alpha}{2}) & 1+\frac{1}{2}sin(\alpha)\end{pmatrix}$$

How the reduced to each system A and B obtained?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you have a composite density of the form

[itex]\rho_{i j a b}[/itex]

where [itex]i, j[/itex] refer to a basis for system A and [itex]a, b[/itex] refer to a basis for system B, then

[itex](\rho_A)_{i j} = \sum_a \rho_{i j a a}[/itex]

[itex](\rho_B)_{a b} = \sum_i \rho_{i i a b}[/itex]

Your 4x4 matrix doesn't clearly indicate which indices are for [itex]A[/itex] and which are for [itex]B[/itex], but I assume you're doing something like:
    1. The element with row=1, column=1 corresponds to [itex]i=1, j=1, a=1, b=1[/itex]
    2. The element with row=1, column=2 corresponds to [itex]i=1, j=1, a=2, b=1[/itex]
    3. The element with row=2, column=1 corresponds to [itex]i=1, j=1, a=1, b=2[/itex]
    4. The element with row=2, column=2 corresponds to [itex]i=1, j=1, a=2, b=2[/itex]
    5. The element with row=1, column=3 corresponds to [itex]i=2, j=1, a=1, b=1[/itex]
    6. The element with row=1, column=4 corresponds to [itex]i=2, j=1, a=2, b=1[/itex]
    7. The element with row=2, column=3 corresponds to [itex]i=2, j=1, a=1, b=2[/itex]
    8. The element with row=2, column=4 corresponds to [itex]i=2, j=1, a=2, b=2[/itex]
    9. etc.
    (or something like that)

4. Jun 19, 2016 #3
    thankyou for helping me. really appreciate.
    Sorry, I want to ask more either the notation for
    [itex](\rho_A)_{i j} = \sum_a \rho_{i j a a}[/itex]

or

[itex](\rho_A)_{i j} = \sum_a \rho_{i j a b}[/itex] ?

Thank you very much

5. Jun 19, 2016 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first one is correct. That's sort of obvious, because the second one has a free index, [itex]b[/itex] on the right-hand side, but not on the left-hand-side.

6. Jun 19, 2016 #5
    tqvm stevendaryl for your respon

7. Jun 20, 2016 #6
    stevendaryl, can you give me the example according what you explain. I already try to understand. please

8. Jun 20, 2016 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

You have to give the context. There's no way to guess from just throwing a matrix in the discussion what it means! There must be a clear definition in the textbook/problem sheet given. Otherwise it's just useless!

9. Jun 20, 2016 #8

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't understand what it is that you don't understand. The density matrix for a two-component system has 4 indices: two for the first component, and two for the second component. To form the reduced matrix for one component, you "trace" over the indices for the other component. A trace means setting the two indices to the same value and summing over all possibilities.

Your original matrix doesn't clearly identify those 4 indices, so it's not possible to form the reduced matrix without additional information. That was probably present, if you saw the problem in a text book.

From your 16-element matrix, what I'm assuming the components of [itex]\rho_{ijab}[/itex] are:
    1. [itex]\rho_{1111} = \frac{1}{4}[/itex]
    2. [itex]\rho_{1112} = \frac{1}{4}[/itex]
    3. [itex]\rho_{1121} = \frac{1}{4}[/itex]
    4. [itex]\rho_{1122} = \frac{1}{4}[/itex]
    5. [itex]\rho_{1211} = \frac{1}{4}(cos(\frac{\alpha}{2}) - sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}))[/itex]
    6. [itex]\rho_{1212} = \frac{1}{4}(cos(\frac{\alpha}{2}) + sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}))[/itex]
    7. [itex]\rho_{1221} = \frac{1}{4}(cos(\frac{\alpha}{2}) - sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}))[/itex]
    8. [itex]\rho_{1222} = \frac{1}{4}(cos(\frac{\alpha}{2}) + sin(\frac{\alpha}{2}))[/itex]
    Etc.

So
    [itex](\rho_A)_{ij} = \rho_{ij11} + \rho_{ij22}[/itex]
    [itex](\rho_B)_{ab} = \rho_{11ab} + \rho_{22ab}[/itex]

10. Jun 21, 2016 #9
    tqvm stevendaryl. I understand now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted