How Should I Calculate Rotational Energy Levels of NH3?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
_Andreas
Messages
141
Reaction score
1
I'm supposed to calculate the rotational energy levels of NH3, which is a symmetric rotator. The rotational energy levels are determined by the equation

EJK = hcBJ(J+1) + hc(A-B)K^2, where J = 0, 1, 2,..., and K = 0, +/-1, +/-2,..., +/-J

I don't quite get it. Are there a very limited set of rotational energy levels for NH3 that makes it practically possible for me to calculate each one of them, or should I calculate only the, say, first four possible levels? I've looked around for clues in my textbook, but I can't see that there are any.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
With no upper limit on J there are infinitely many energy levels. This is similar to the energy levels of electrons in an atiom. Start at the bottom and work your way up.
 
I had already solved it myself before you responded, but thanks anyway! I'll probably need more help in the future.
 
Oh, I guess I should make it clear if I no longer need help with a problem I've asked for help solving. It's certainly not OK for me to waste your time. My apologies!
 
_Andreas said:
Oh, I guess I should make it clear if I no longer need help with a problem I've asked for help solving. It's certainly not OK for me to waste your time. My apologies!
It would be good of you to do that. Not a problem here since I did not do much work and needed a bit of review anyway.