Explain the energy levels of Samarium-154

In summary, the energy levels of Samarium-154 display rotational energy up to 8+, but the justification for the remaining levels is not yet clear and may involve other physical phenomena.
JD_PM
Homework Statement
Justify the energy levels of Samarium-154
Relevant Equations
Vibrational energy-Rotational energy
These are the experimental results for the energy levels of Samarium-154:

Screenshot (442).png
From 0+ to 8+ I recognize rotational energy:

$$E = \frac{l(l+1)\hbar^2}{2I}$$

But from there on I do not know how to justify the rest.

I have been reading that we sometimes get energy diagrams like above for even-even nucleus in the range 150-190. In such diagrams we can talk about new rotational bands, getting vibrational states and pair-breaking particle excitations.

I have been reading an interpretation of Erbium-164 (which is a similar case to Sm-154) from Krane but I still don't get it...

Screenshot (444).png

Screenshot (445).png

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot (443).png
    Screenshot (443).png
    1.2 KB · Views: 326
Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to say exactly what is going on with the energy levels of Samarium-154 without more detailed information. However, based on the information provided, it is likely that the energy levels between 0+ and 8+ correspond to rotational energy levels, as you have suggested. The remaining energy levels may be due to other physical phenomena such as vibrational states, pair-breaking particle excitations, or other effects. For example, in Erbium-164, Krane suggests that the higher energy levels are the result of vibrational and rotational excitations of the nucleus. It is possible that similar physical effects are occurring in Samarium-154. To get a better understanding of the energy levels of Samarium-154, it would be necessary to have more detailed information about the nucleus, such as its structure and interactions.

1. What is Samarium-154?

Samarium-154 is an isotope of the element samarium, which is a rare earth metal found in the Earth's crust. It has an atomic number of 62 and a mass number of 154, meaning it contains 62 protons and 92 neutrons.

2. What are energy levels in atoms?

Energy levels in atoms refer to the different states of energy that electrons can occupy within an atom. These energy levels are represented by the electron shells, with the lowest energy level being closest to the nucleus and the highest energy level being furthest away.

3. How are energy levels determined in Samarium-154?

The energy levels in Samarium-154 are determined by its atomic structure, specifically the number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus. The arrangement of electrons in the different energy levels is determined by the electron configuration of the element.

4. What is the ground state of Samarium-154?

The ground state of an atom is the lowest energy state that an electron can occupy. In Samarium-154, the ground state would be the energy level closest to the nucleus, which would be the 6th energy level since it has 6 electron shells.

5. How do energy levels affect the properties of Samarium-154?

The energy levels in Samarium-154 play a role in determining its chemical and physical properties. The number and arrangement of electrons in the different energy levels influence how the atom bonds with other atoms and how it behaves in different chemical reactions.