Explain the energy levels of Samarium-154

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
JD_PM
Messages
1,125
Reaction score
156
Homework Statement
Justify the energy levels of Samarium-154
Relevant Equations
Vibrational energy-Rotational energy
These are the experimental results for the energy levels of Samarium-154:

Screenshot (442).png
From 0+ to 8+ I recognize rotational energy:

$$E = \frac{l(l+1)\hbar^2}{2I}$$

But from there on I do not know how to justify the rest.

I have been reading that we sometimes get energy diagrams like above for even-even nucleus in the range 150-190. In such diagrams we can talk about new rotational bands, getting vibrational states and pair-breaking particle excitations.

I have been reading an interpretation of Erbium-164 (which is a similar case to Sm-154) from Krane but I still don't get it...

Screenshot (444).png

Screenshot (445).png


Thank you for your help.
 
Attachments
  • Screenshot (443).png
    Screenshot (443).png
    1.2 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to say exactly what is going on with the energy levels of Samarium-154 without more detailed information. However, based on the information provided, it is likely that the energy levels between 0+ and 8+ correspond to rotational energy levels, as you have suggested. The remaining energy levels may be due to other physical phenomena such as vibrational states, pair-breaking particle excitations, or other effects. For example, in Erbium-164, Krane suggests that the higher energy levels are the result of vibrational and rotational excitations of the nucleus. It is possible that similar physical effects are occurring in Samarium-154. To get a better understanding of the energy levels of Samarium-154, it would be necessary to have more detailed information about the nucleus, such as its structure and interactions.