1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How should i correct speed to keep induction constant for different viscosities

1. Dec 22, 2009 #1
    So i am going to be dropping a magnet through a coil that is a submerged in a liquid. Say that this liquid is 100% lemon juice, how would i get the magnet to approximately fall through the coil at the same rate for the submerged coil and a coil that is not submerged?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2009 #2
    Does my question not make sense or is something wrong with it?

4. Dec 25, 2009 #3

diazona

Homework Helper

I don't know, it may have been overlooked... but there doesn't seem to be much to it. You'd just use a weaker magnet, or add resistance to the coil, when it's falling through the liquid.

5. Dec 25, 2009 #4
    I have lots of ideas on how to do it but I do not know by what factor, or how to get viscosity into the equation.

6. Dec 30, 2009 #5
    Its been a week since my original post, is this in the wrong section?

7. Dec 31, 2009 #6
    I accept with information: it may have been overlooked but there doesn't seem to be much to it. You'd just use a weaker magnet, or add resistance to the coil.

8. Dec 31, 2009 #7
    Again, I already have different ideas about how I should adjust the setup to balance the viscosity, but I do not know by how much I should adjust it. Say I have liquid with a viscosity of 1.0 pascal seconds and another with 0.50 pascal seconds, I am using a hypothetical coil with zero resistance, by how much should the resistance be increased for the substance with viscosity of 1? Is there no equation for this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook