How should I do my math homework?

In summary: Just use your common sense. You're not going to be marked down for using graph paper for graph questions and lined paper for other questions. Plus, teachers aren't stupid-- I'm sure they'll be able to follow the questions as you write above.
lLovePhysics
Well for my Calculus homework, I have to graph only on graph paper. Should I just do everything on graph paper so I don't have to switch from graph to line and then back again? I'm having a hard time figuring out which way is best because the teacher will take off points for not graphing on graph paper!

Btw. is it cheaper to print your own graph paper or buy it from stores? Does anyone know where they sell graph paper that has boxes on both sides? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
lLovePhysics said:
Well for my Calculus homework, I have to graph only on graph paper. Should I just do everything on graph paper so I don't have to switch from graph to line and then back again? I'm having a hard time figuring out which way is best because the teacher will take off points for not graphing on graph paper!

That is not complicated. Use graph paper for graphs; use other paper for exercises which do not need graphs. Arrange other work or related work according to your teacher's instructions.

Btw. is it cheaper to print your own graph paper or buy it from stores? Does anyone know where they sell graph paper that has boxes on both sides? Thanks.
Usually, the best place to find commercially produced graph paper is your college or university bookstore. Some "quadrile" graph paper is double-sided. There used to be log-log and semi-log paper which was available as single-sided, but other sources may exist maybe being double sided - you'll need to check.

Microsoft Windows may have a graph paper program, but I can't remember which subprogram of Windows has this. You can also find graphpap or "graphpaper", a freeware graph paper program for Windows , which permits you to make various kinds of graph paper styles.

I find it very unlikely that you could print graph paper for less than it would cost to buy commercially produced paper. We pay through the nose for printer ink at the consumer level.

symbolipoint said:
That is not complicated. Use graph paper for graphs; use other paper for exercises which do not need graphs. Arrange other work or related work according to your teacher's instructions.

Doesn't that make it hard for the teacher to grade then? I would have, for example, #1-10 on line, #11-20 on graph, then #21-40 on the same lined paper, then #41-50 on the same graph paper and so on. Wouldn't the teacher have to look back and forth to follow the numbers?

Bump, anyone?

lLovePhysics said:
Doesn't that make it hard for the teacher to grade then? I would have, for example, #1-10 on line, #11-20 on graph, then #21-40 on the same lined paper, then #41-50 on the same graph paper and so on. Wouldn't the teacher have to look back and forth to follow the numbers?

lLovePhysics said:
Bump, anyone?

Just use your common sense. You're not going to be marked down for using graph paper for graph questions and lined paper for other questions. Plus, teachers aren't stupid-- I'm sure they'll be able to follow the questions as you write above.

Well you always staple your assignments together right? Just use lined paper for all the normal questions and use graph paper for the others and staple them to the back of the lined paper. I am sure markers have seen it all and know to expect the graphed questions at the back...

I do everything in graph paper. You can find it at any school supplies store.

I do everything on graph paper also. I used graph paper for every assignment all through undergrad.

You can find graph paper at any office supply store as well. It's really not that rare.

When I was in school, I did all my homework on graph paper, because it was just easier than switching back and forth. I also took notes on graph paper in classes that involved a lot of graphs or diagrams. Again, it was easier, and kept my notes neater.

If you just put all the graphing questions on graph paper and the rest of the questions on lined paper, the one suggestion I have would be to include all the question numbers on the lined paper, and put a note next to the number of each graphing question like "see graph paper for problem." That way, the teacher doesn't get confused thinking you've skipped problems. They *should* have the sense to see there is both lined and grid paper stapled together, but if they're grading while tired, it would be easier to let them know you've done the problems out of order to conserve paper, so all the regular problems are on one page, and the graphing problems on another.

1. How do I start my math homework?

The first step in starting your math homework is to read through the instructions carefully. Make sure you understand what is being asked of you. Then, gather all the necessary materials such as a textbook, calculator, and paper.

2. How do I stay organized while doing my math homework?

One way to stay organized while doing your math homework is to create a designated workspace. This could be a desk or table where you have all your materials readily available. Additionally, you can create a to-do list or use a planner to keep track of assignments and due dates.

3. Should I do my math homework in one sitting or take breaks?

It is recommended to take breaks while doing your math homework, especially if it is a longer assignment. This will give your brain a chance to rest and recharge, making it easier to focus and retain information. Just be sure to set a timer for your breaks and stick to a schedule.

4. How can I check my work when doing math homework?

One way to check your work while doing math homework is to use a calculator. This can help you double-check your calculations and ensure you haven't made any mistakes. You can also refer back to your textbook or notes to verify your answers.

5. What should I do if I get stuck on a math problem?

If you get stuck on a math problem, don't panic. Take a deep breath and try to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps. You can also ask a friend, family member, or teacher for help. Sometimes talking through a problem with someone else can help you understand it better.