How Should Voltmeters and Ammeters Be Connected in a Circuit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
mike88si
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




make a drawing of a circuit, showing how a voltmeter is connected to measure the voltage across a resistor and how an Ammeter is connected to measure the current through a resistor.

Homework Equations


I'm not sure if I am suppose to draw a power source and if i do, I do not know where to put it. I think my voltmeter is correct (if I'm wrong please let me know) but I am really unsure about my ammeter set up. Do I need to have it set up in parallel or something? I did this lab a couple days ago and totally spaced out on how to draw it. The lab manual was no help and my teacher does not have any office hours before this is due. Any help is appreciated and thanks!



The Attempt at a Solution



lab.jpg


- Michael
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, a circuit is closed and indeed contains a power source.

You are correct in how to include the meters in the circuit, which was the main part of the question, namely the volt meter goes in parallel and the amp meter in series. Therefore, let me post these two examples I found using Google:

http://www.gcsescience.com/Voltmeter.gif
http://www.gcsescience.com/Ammeter.gif

Hopefully this will help you to complete your drawing
 
Last edited by a moderator: