Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How social media can ruin your chances

1. Nov 10, 2013 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

As always, you should be careful of what you post online. This is a good article about how an increasing number of colleges as well as employers are searching social media of students and prospective employees.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/b...w-your-tweets.html?partner=yahoofinance&_r=1&

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2013 #2
    This probably will make me sound like a bad person but here it is: good.

It increases my chances of getting into a good college. :)

4. Nov 10, 2013 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Good thing my social media posts consist of science news and offspring pictures. My children have been known to hypnotize employers.

5. Nov 10, 2013 #4

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Children? :eek: It seemed like only the other day.....

It appears I've missed some news. :redface:

Hey! Someone's going to be 4 in a few days. :smile:

ps. Thank you for making babies Pyth. The thought of Idiocracy really creeped me out.

pps. Thank god I'm not worried about getting a job, and have been wise enough not to blurt out what I really think of my bosses over the last few years. Though, I understand what they are doing now, having been one. It all makes sense now.

bosses......jpg
    My perception of my bosses....

me.at.work.jpg
    My perception of me at work.....

what.all.my.friends.are.doing.while.im.posting.stuff.on.the.internet.jpg
    What my friends are all doing whilst I sit here on the internets......​

6. Nov 10, 2013 #5

Borek

PF is a social media too, and this particular comment won't get you many points, at least not in my eyes.

7. Nov 10, 2013 #6

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A few weeks ago someone resurrected a thread I'd responded to about 10 years ago in another forum I frequent and it got me to thinking... just about everything you put out there on the internet has at least the potential to become a permanent record.

I have young children now, but I'm sure at some point if they really want to, they'll be able to look up things I've written about over the course of my life. I'm not personally too worried about this since I've always made an effort to keep my online presence at least somewhat professional - even when that presence is semi-anonymous.

I can imagine though, that this isn't the case for everyone.

More and more of our data is going online these days. I saw a commercial for Google's Chromebook the other day - a laptop-ish thing that doesn't really run any software locally - it's just a portal to the net and all your applications and documents are stored "in the cloud" - or at least that's my understanding of it. So all you data is just going to be "out there."

As online presence increases, it's bound to make past mistakes that people have made, that people have learned from and grown from, come back to haunt them.

For now, this idea that employers check out their potential hires' social media, is one that's seemed pretty obvious to me from the outset.

8. Nov 10, 2013 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I just hope the pictures that 500 people took of me at Mardi Gras 24 years ago don't get put online.

Good god....

This is why I can never run for public office.

:redface:

9. Nov 10, 2013 #8

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Pubic Orifice on the other hand...

10. Nov 10, 2013 #9
    I think it is getting ridiculous. "It" being the watchful eye of prospective employers and now Universities. It is as if we are not allowed to have lives of our own anymore. I'm sure some of these "big shots" who are paid to scan the internet and scrutinize candidates have had similar fun experiences in their youth. Really, who cares if I get wicked drunk every Friday night and go out and dance? How does that affect my ability to do my job Mon-Fri? Say I get into a political debate via a forum discussion. Do I have to put a disclaimer on my statements, noting their non-affiliation with my employer? Here's a better question, what does the ideal candidate look like on a social network? Does he have a Tatoo of GE on his left shoulder? Does he sport IBM Polo's in all his pictures? Is he always low key and relatively uneventful?

Bottom line: I think this should be illegal. Surveillance stops when you are off the clock unless you are a high profile employee. For Universities, I think this is going to breed a very dishonest and superficial (phony might be a better word) mentality amongst students.

11. Nov 10, 2013 #10

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

:eek:

No Orificer, I was not drunken driven. And yes, I always wear my underwear backwards, on my head, whilst bicycling naked, on, a tricycle..... (hic!)

12. Nov 10, 2013 #11

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you value your privacy you need to be a bit circumspect about your private life. Have your weekend extravaganza of drunkenness and debauchery, but keep it private. Don't post pictures from it on social media for the whole world to see with the hope of getting a boatload of likes. You are making what should be your private life public when you write about it on social media.

13. Nov 10, 2013 #12
    The difference is I'm under a pseudonym.

14. Nov 11, 2013 #13

Borek

You are one of those that think anonymity allows them to say things they would not said in person? That's even worse.

I've heard your men’s hockey team took a home loss around Halloween, didn't they?

15. Nov 11, 2013 #14
    :confused:
    Oh...got it. Wing Chun movie :approve: (?)
    ...but if that's the case...it won't work for the employers/colleges
    *mental blank*

16. Nov 11, 2013 #15
    It's not true anonymity. As you more than likely already know, the ISP knows exactly which IP address corresponds to which customer but this is not available for the public such as universities.

Yes, I do think pseudonymity gives the ability for people to say things that they would otherwise receive backlash in real life.

You're referring to the Toronto Maple Leafs, right? I honestly don't follow sports but it's intriguing that you geolocated my IP.

17. Nov 11, 2013 #16

Evo

You should be aware that there are ways that they can sometimes discover your aliases by linking to friends and other sites, there was an article that showed how one of the recruiters at a company easily did this.

Not to mention people that know your alias. A woman I know was fired when a "friend" of hers contacted her company to let them know she was ratting out their illegal practices in her blog and they gave her employer her alias and blog URL. A year later the company was involved in one of the largest scandals in the US for those illegal practices. She got the last laugh. But that is rare.

18. Nov 11, 2013 #17
    lol obviosly nobody here has twitter because it gives you an option to make your tweets private

@Aero51

19. Nov 11, 2013 #18

Borek

No.

But just because I probably know which school you attend doesn't mean I am going to let everyone know it for no reason, at least as long as you behave :devil:

20. Nov 11, 2013 #19

Evo

Yeah, that worked for Weiner.

21. Nov 11, 2013 #20
    I, for one, welcome our new sentient robot mind-reading overlords who will know everything about everyone and our whole life will be exposed!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook