How the value of ln(-1) is derived

• Thread starter Benn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the discussion of ln(-1) being equal to (2k+1)iπ for k∈ℤ means that e^(2k+1)iπ=-1 by definition. However, most authors prefer to have a single value for the complex logarithm, so they only use the principal value of iπ.
Benn
I saw a post discussing (-1)(1/3). After I saw it, I was a little confused about how the value of ln(-1) is derived. I could see from euler's identity that it should equal i*π; however, I'm not sure where the multiplicity (2k+1) comes from. I searched the forums (and google) but couldn't find anything. Could anyone clear this up for me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, saying that [itex]ln(-1)=(2k+1)i\pi[/itex] for [itex]k\in \mathbb{Z}[/itex] simply means (by definition) that

[tex]e^{(2k+1)i\pi}=-1[/tex]

Why does this hold? Well, by definition of the complex exponential, we have

[tex]e^{(2k+1)i\pi}=\cos((2k+1)\pi)+i\sin((2k+1)\pi)[/tex]

From elementary trigonometry, we know that [itex]\cos((2k+1)\pi)=-1[/itex] and [itex]\sin((2k+1)\pi)=0[/itex]. So we indeed see that the above expression equals -1.

However: most authors don't like the logarithm to take on multiple values. They want one value for the complex logarithm. That's why you will always see [itex]ln(-1)=i\pi[/itex]. We don't mention the other values because we only want one answer for ln(-1). We say that [itex]i\pi[/itex] is the principal value of the logarithm.

1. What is the value of ln(-1)?

The value of ln(-1) is undefined, as the natural logarithm function is only defined for positive real numbers.

2. How is the value of ln(-1) derived?

The value of ln(-1) cannot be derived using the standard rules of logarithms, as it would result in an undefined value.

3. Can the value of ln(-1) be approximated?

No, the value of ln(-1) cannot be approximated, as it is undefined.

4. Why is the value of ln(-1) important?

The value of ln(-1) is important in mathematics and physics, as it is used in complex analysis and other advanced topics.

5. Are there any real-life applications of ln(-1)?

While the value of ln(-1) cannot be used in real-life applications, the concept of complex numbers and the natural logarithm function are used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics.