How this kind of limit with variables in solved ?

In summary: And yes, if the limit exists, then g(a) must equal (x-a)^k * g1(x). This is just a property of polynomials. In summary, the conversation is discussing the factorization of polynomials and how it relates to finding limits. The conversation also discusses the properties of polynomials, specifically how they can be expressed as (x-a)^k * g1(x) and how this relates to finding limits as x approaches a. The constant term, c, is also mentioned.
Martin117

Homework Statement

[/b]
SxsGKsR

This is mentioned in my maths book, I m not able to understand it what they did.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Martin117 said:

Homework Statement

SxsGKsR
[/B]
This is mentioned in my maths book, I m not able to understand it what they did.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

They just factored out ##(x-a)^p## from both the numerator and the denominator (possibly with a different value of ##p## for the numerator and denominator.) Let ##p_1 = p_{\text{numerator}}## and ##p_2 = p_{\text{denominator}}##.
(1) If ##p_1 = p_2## then all factors ##(x-a)## cancel out completely, and you are left with a fraction of the form ##f_1(x)/g_1(x)##, where neither ##f_1## nor ##g_1## vanishes at ##x = a##---so you get a finite, nonzero limit.
(2) If ##p_1 > p_2## your fraction simplifies to ##(x-a)^{p_1 - p_2} \times f_1(x)/g_1(x)##, where neither ##f_1## nor ##f_2## vanishes at ##x = a##. Therefore, the limit is ##0##, because ##(x-a)^{p_1 - p_2 } \to 0.##
(3) If ##p_1 < p_2## the fraction simplifies to ##f_1(x)/f_2(x) \times 1/(x-a)^{p_2 - p_1}##. Since ##1/(x-a)^{p_2 - p_1} \to \pm \infty##, the limit does not exist.

Ray Vickson said:
They just factored out ##(x-a)^p## from both the numerator and the denominator (possibly with a different value of ##p## for the numerator and denominator.) Let ##p_1 = p_{\text{numerator}}## and ##p_2 = p_{\text{denominator}}##.
(1) If ##p_1 = p_2## then all factors ##(x-a)## cancel out completely, and you are left with a fraction of the form ##f_1(x)/g_1(x)##, where neither ##f_1## nor ##g_1## vanishes at ##x = a##---so you get a finite, nonzero limit.
(2) If ##p_1 > p_2## your fraction simplifies to ##(x-a)^{p_1 - p_2} \times f_1(x)/g_1(x)##, where neither ##f_1## nor ##f_2## vanishes at ##x = a##. Therefore, the limit is ##0##, because ##(x-a)^{p_1 - p_2 } \to 0.##
(3) If ##p_1 < p_2## the fraction simplifies to ##f_1(x)/f_2(x) \times 1/(x-a)^{p_2 - p_1}##. Since ##1/(x-a)^{p_2 - p_1} \to \pm \infty##, the limit does not exist.
How they introduced new term (x-a)^k g1(x) and (x-a)^l h1(x) , from just g(a) and h(a) .

Just polynomial properties. Every polynomial can be expressed as [itex]P(x) = c(x-a_1)(x-a_2)(x-a_3)...[/itex] where ai are its roots, and if so [itex]P(x) = (x-a_1)Q(x)[/itex] where [itex]Q(x) = c(x-a_2)(x-a_3)...[/itex]. Powers are to allow for roots multiplicity.

my confusion is how they replaced Limx tends to a g(x)=g(a) to g(x)=(x-a)kg1(x) and similarly with h(x) if this is a property of polynomial can you explain in detail because i m untouched to this .

Have you read what I wrote? Assume g(x) is P(x) and g1(s) is Q(X). Do you see it now?

Borek said:
Have you read what I wrote? Assume g(x) is P(x) and g1(s) is Q(X). Do you see it now?
yeah now i m very near just last doubt please what is "c" in p(x) is this a constant term and if lim x tends to a g(x)=g(a) , g(x)=(x-a)k g1(x)
then g(a) =(x-a)k g1(x) what does it imply .

c is just a constant.

1. How do you solve limits with variables?

To solve a limit with variables, you first need to plug in the value of the variable into the function. Then, you can use algebraic manipulation and other techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, or using trigonometric identities to simplify the expression. Finally, evaluate the limit by plugging in the variable value into the simplified expression.

2. What are the different types of limits with variables?

There are three types of limits with variables: finite limits, infinite limits, and limits at infinity. Finite limits have a defined value at a specific point, while infinite limits have an unbounded value (either positive or negative). Limits at infinity represent the behavior of a function as the input approaches infinity or negative infinity.

3. How do you know if a limit with variables exists?

A limit with variables exists if the right-hand limit (approaching from the positive side) is equal to the left-hand limit (approaching from the negative side). If these two values are equal, the limit exists and has a defined value. If they are not equal, the limit does not exist.

4. Can you use L'Hopital's rule to solve limits with variables?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be used to solve limits with variables. This rule states that if the limit of a quotient of functions is in an indeterminate form (e.g. 0/0 or ∞/∞), then you can take the derivative of the top and bottom functions separately and evaluate the limit again.

5. Are there any special cases when solving limits with variables?

Yes, there are a few special cases when solving limits with variables. These include limits involving trigonometric functions, limits involving rational exponents, and limits involving absolute values. It is important to be familiar with the properties and rules for these special cases when solving limits with variables.