How to apply the Clausius-Clapeyron to geysers

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Elemere
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi first post so forgive any break in widely accepted conduct,
Currently involved in a physics competition one of the question is to investigate geysers. Time and time again I have stumbled upon reference to Clausius-Clapeyron relation. Probably the best source I have come across is a youtube video and while able to replicate his results of total pressure by using his variables I am still unable to determine the heat of the water at the bottom of the geyser. Below I will paste the youtube video and my math that isn't working.

Thankyou in advance

Arrangement of relation given:
http://file:///C:/Users/ryan/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png

Values given:
P1 = aprox 100000 (atmospheric pressure)
P2 = 113000
Delta Hvap = 2.6*10^6 (latent heat of vaporization H2O)
R = 8.314 (gas constant)
T2 = ?
T1 = 100C (boiling point I assume)

When these values are input into the relation the result is 100.0045 when the video states it should be 103 inputting other values doesn't seem to move T2 far from 100.Youtube vid:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am so sorry and if someone would tell me how I could take this down I would appreciate it. I assumed Hvap was latent heat of vaporization when really it is change in enthalpy which has a value of 41000 J/mol.