How to Approach Finding the Limit of an Equation as n Approaches Infinity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ingo23
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ingo23
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the limes of the equation, so lim n -> ∞

Homework Equations


m1.png
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to solve this by using the third binomial formula and formed this to
m2.png

I wanted to show that it's <= 1/n, but then I checked wolfram alpha and it seems like it actually conv. against sqrt(2), but how do I get there?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ingo23 said:

Homework Statement


Find the limes of the equation, so lim n -> ∞

Homework Equations


m1.png
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to solve this by using the third binomial formula and formed this to
m2.png

I wanted to show that it's <= 1/n, but then I checked wolfram alpha and it seems like it actually conv. against sqrt(2), but how do I get there?

Actually, you are nearly there. Just one or two small steps.
 
Last edited:
PeroK said:
Actually, you are nearly there. Just one or two small steps.

Thats good to know, but can you give me a pointer towars the right direction?
All I managed to do is pull the sqrt(4) out of the numerator, but I this doesn't relly help me since I can't see a way to get rid of the square roots in the denominator. :/
 
ingo23 said:
Thats good to know, but can you give me a pointer towars the right direction?
All I managed to do is pull the sqrt(4) out of the numerator, but I this doesn't relly help me since I can't see a way to get rid of the square roots in the denominator. :/
Why not divide top and bottom by ##\sqrt{n}##?