How to ask questions during lecture/office hours?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Yoshimori
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is studying physics in college but has trouble coming up with questions during lectures, discussions, and even when reading textbooks. They feel like they are not thinking critically enough and are looking for tips to improve. They are advised to learn from others and think outside the box, and to watch Veritasium videos on YouTube for inspiration. The speaker is also encouraged to question formulas and seek help from professors when needed.
Yoshimori
I'm studying physics in college, but I usually have a problem with coming up with questions during lecture, discussion, office hours and even when I am reading a textbook or working on a problem. I don't know what's wrong with me but I just sit there pretty content while learning while other people ask questions every 10 min that are really good that I hadn't thought about or point out errors I'd look over. I would maybe have one or two questions every month that I would even bother to ask the professor (and even then I could just look it up in the book).

To better explain this there was an example in my intro to quantum mechanics class where we had some function that was inversely proportional to the momentum of the particle (i.e. f(p) ∝ 1/p). I sat there pretty chill and then a student asked what would happen if the velocity was zero. I felt like the most stupid person in the room for not even considering something as simple as that. I know this is just one example but this happens pretty much every STEM lecture I go to and every time I read a book and I feel like a dunce.

I know this is kind of vague in exactly what I want but I just feel that I am not thinking critically enough inside and outside the classroom and its affecting my proper understanding of the material. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Then you must go on a quest to find questions to be answered. Try to learn from others and the kinds of questions they ask especially about edge cases like that velocity is zero.

Check out the Veritasium videos on YouTube because he often starts with a question for you to ponder and then sets up the situation before he answers it.

Start thinking outside of the box and your creativity will soar. It's a skill you will need when you start working and have problems yet to be solved.

My feeling is that you may be distracted by other things gaming, messaging... and not thinking deeper into things. Don't just take some math or physics formula at face value ask yourself how was it derived what were the boundaries what were the initial conditions.

As a prof, I always liked when students would make an honest effort getting started on homework problems and come to me when they get stuck.

"What's my next step on this problem?" was always a good way to start a discussion.

Likes Dishsoap

1. How can I make sure my questions are relevant to the lecture material?

To ensure that your questions are relevant, it is important to actively listen and take notes during the lecture. Pay attention to the main points and key concepts being discussed. If you are unsure about a particular topic or need clarification, write down your questions and ask them during office hours.

2. Is it better to ask questions during the lecture or during office hours?

This ultimately depends on the type of question you have. If your question is related to a specific concept being discussed in the lecture, it is appropriate to ask it during the lecture. However, if your question is more general or requires a longer discussion, it may be better to wait and ask during office hours.

3. How can I avoid asking the same question as someone else during office hours?

If you are attending office hours with a group of students, it is always a good idea to communicate and coordinate with them beforehand. This way, you can divide up the questions and ensure that each student gets their questions answered without repeating the same ones.

4. How many questions should I ask during office hours?

There is no set limit to the number of questions you can ask during office hours. However, it is important to be respectful of your professor's time and not monopolize the conversation. Prioritize your questions and ask the most important ones first.

5. What should I do if I am too nervous to ask a question during lecture or office hours?

If you are feeling nervous about asking a question, remember that your professor is there to help you understand the material. Take a deep breath and try to relax. It may also be helpful to write down your question and ask it at a later time when you feel more comfortable.