How to balance chem.eq. with crystal water?

In summary: No need to include the H+ ions in your balanced reaction. They will be accounted for in the following steps.You have enough information to account for the grams of H2SO4. How many grams H2SO4 in x mL of 1 M H2SO4 ?Use the mole ratio of H2SO4 to H2O, knowing that 1 M H2SO4 means 1 mole H2SO4 per Liter of solution. Note that the ratio is 1 to 2.The number of H2O molecules in your reaction is not important to writing a balanced reaction. They are important for calculating the number of moles H2SO4 you need to react
eventob

Homework Statement

10 g Fe and x ml H2SO4 forms y gFeSO4*7H2O

Write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction, and determine the coeffisients y and x. The H2SO4 is 1 M.

Homework Equations

n=V*c
n=m/Fm

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I was trying to set up the chemical eq:
Fe+H2SO4 => FeSO4*7H2O

But, I'm not sure how to balance the hydrogens and oxygens in the crystal water.

I've also calculated the how many moles 10 g of Fe is.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to add water molecules on the left - after all, reaction takes place in a solution. If not, there is no way hydrated salt can be produced.

Thanks.

But then, do I have to add hydrogen to the right?

Fe+H2SO4 + 7H2O => FeSO4*7H2O + H^+

Other than water of crystallization it is not different from the reaction between a metal and an acid. I am more than sure that you have covered this reaction earlier, so check your notes and the book. Googling for reaction between metal and acid will also give you the answer.

Thanks again. :)

I tried to Google it first, but could only find formulas without the crystallization water. So I was not sure how to handle that part. I am currently taking two different chemistry courses, one introductory and one who builds one the knowledge from the introductory course. I've never seen the *H2O part until this reaction. :)

Writing a balanced reaction should be no big problem. Look at the mole ratios among the parts and the materials. Post #3 reaction is almost, but not yet balanced. No matter, you can still write enough reaction without including the H+ ions.

Use given information and formula weights to account for both grams and moles.
10 grams Fe ----- How many moles?
1 to 1 mole ratio of Fe to FeSO4*7H2O ----- then how many moles and how many grams if starting from 10 grams of Fe ?

1. How do I determine the amount of crystal water in a compound?

To determine the amount of crystal water in a compound, you can use techniques such as gravimetric analysis or thermogravimetric analysis. These methods involve heating the compound to remove the crystal water and then measuring the change in mass to calculate the amount of water present.

2. Why is it important to balance chemical equations with crystal water?

Balancing chemical equations with crystal water is important because the amount of crystal water present affects the stoichiometry of the reaction. It is necessary to accurately account for the amount of crystal water in order to correctly determine the amount of reactants and products involved in the reaction.

3. What are the different types of crystal water?

There are three main types of crystal water: coordinated water, interstitial water, and lattice water. Coordinated water is water that is directly bonded to the metal ions in a compound, interstitial water is located in the open spaces between ions in the crystal lattice, and lattice water is water that is part of the crystal structure itself.

4. How does the presence of crystal water affect the properties of a compound?

The presence of crystal water can greatly affect the physical and chemical properties of a compound. For example, it can affect the solubility, melting point, and color of a compound. Crystal water can also play a role in the stability and reactivity of a compound, as well as its ability to form complexes.

5. Can crystal water be removed from a compound?

Yes, crystal water can be removed from a compound through techniques such as heating or desiccation. However, the removal of crystal water can also cause changes in the properties and behavior of the compound. In some cases, the removal of crystal water can result in the decomposition of the compound.