How to balance chem.eq. with crystal water?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
eventob
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


10 g Fe and x ml H2SO4 forms y gFeSO4*7H2O

Write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction, and determine the coeffisients y and x. The H2SO4 is 1 M.


Homework Equations


n=V*c
n=m/Fm


The Attempt at a Solution


First thing I was trying to set up the chemical eq:
Fe+H2SO4 => FeSO4*7H2O

But, I'm not sure how to balance the hydrogens and oxygens in the crystal water.

I've also calculated the how many moles 10 g of Fe is.


Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to add water molecules on the left - after all, reaction takes place in a solution. If not, there is no way hydrated salt can be produced.
 
Thanks.

But then, do I have to add hydrogen to the right?

Fe+H2SO4 + 7H2O => FeSO4*7H2O + H^+
 
Other than water of crystallization it is not different from the reaction between a metal and an acid. I am more than sure that you have covered this reaction earlier, so check your notes and the book. Googling for reaction between metal and acid will also give you the answer.
 
Thanks again. :)

I tried to Google it first, but could only find formulas without the crystallization water. So I was not sure how to handle that part. I am currently taking two different chemistry courses, one introductory and one who builds one the knowledge from the introductory course. I've never seen the *H2O part until this reaction. :)
 
Writing a balanced reaction should be no big problem. Look at the mole ratios among the parts and the materials. Post #3 reaction is almost, but not yet balanced. No matter, you can still write enough reaction without including the H+ ions.

Use given information and formula weights to account for both grams and moles.
10 grams Fe ----- How many moles?
1 to 1 mole ratio of Fe to FeSO4*7H2O ----- then how many moles and how many grams if starting from 10 grams of Fe ?