How to become a heorotical physicist

• Thread starter himanshu123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary: The thing to remember here is that, as a theoretical physicist, one should be very specialized in their field of study. This means that, while it is important to have good math and logic skills, one should also be interested in a wide range of subjects. As for becoming a theoretical physicist, while there are a variety of ways one can get there, the most common route would be to obtain a Ph.D. in physics. After that, it would be up to the individual to find a job in the field. Good writing skills are important, but they are not the only thing necessary to become a theoretical physicist.
himanshu123
i need some help to know how to become a theorotical physicist,i am very young(14)so i basically want to know what all is required,degrees and all.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The degree defining a theoretical physicist would probably be a doctorate title obtained through work in theoretical physics. This requires some university degree to be admitted to a PhD course which usually is a B.Sc or M.Sc (or their international equivalents) in physics or a very similar field. Skill-wise, a talent and affinity for mathematics and precision in writing and thinking are important. So if you want to become a theoretical physicist you should improve your writing skills: Spelling, capitalization, and the ability to express yourself in understandable and nonambiguous terms (so no "and all" just because you are too lazy to formulate a proper question or sentence).

As Timo said, you need to end up with a Ph.D. in physics, doing research on some theoretical subject. The details of how you get to that point depend on what country you study in, because different countries have different educational systems.

Null_ said:

This link is rather amusing. The topic is on becoming a theoretical physicist, but the photo is of someone who I know is an experimentalist AND also in the building that I'm very familiar with (work there) that typically has ZERO theorists in it! :)

What, they can't find a decent photo of Lisa Randall?

Zz.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
This link is rather amusing. The topic is on becoming a theoretical physicist, but the photo is of someone who I know is an experimentalist AND also in the building that I'm very familiar with (work there) that typically has ZERO experimentalists in it! :)

What, they can't find a decent photo of Lisa Randall?

Zz.

ha, funny!

thnkx fr the replies much appreciated

No matter what the next steps are, you should start learning how to spell. Looking at the thread list I had no idea what this thread is about.

Borek said:
No matter what the next steps are, you should start learning how to spell. Looking at the thread list I had no idea what this thread is about.

Seems like an unnecessary assy comment, especially from an admin.

Seeing as you're 14, the best thing you can do right now is really sharpen your mathematical and logical skills. Also, seeing as you are 14, keep your mind open to anything you might have an interest in, as theoretical physics is a disciple that is not only highly specialized, but also one that has the most romanticized view of what they actually do.

Just do well in school right now, and make the most of those math classes :)

Intervenient: I don't think anyone telling himanshu to improve his/her writing skills is meaning to offend. With the kind of writing skill displayed in the opening post career options are rather limited (bouncer perhaps), and anything academic is certainly out of the question. There is no reason not to learn proper writing at the age of 14. And there is no reason not to tell someone. Contrary to what seems to be popular belief proper writing is a skill that requires training, and that best comes from actively being aware of spelling, grammar, and style in everyday usage.

There is one other less thread-related thing which people tend to underestimate: I do feel offended when people ask for someone to spend time helping them but don't bother to spend twenty seconds for proof-reading their text because their time is too valuable for such trivialities. What himanshu123 achieves by his sloppy writing is that the answer he gets are from people who don't work in the field, but merely feel like posting some phrases they heard somewhere.

Timo said:
Intervenient: I don't think anyone telling himanshu to improve his/her writing skills is meaning to offend. With the kind of writing skill displayed in the opening post career options are rather limited (bouncer perhaps), and anything academic is certainly out of the question. There is no reason not to learn proper writing at the age of 14. And there is no reason not to tell someone. Contrary to what seems to be popular belief proper writing is a skill that requires training, and that best comes from actively being aware of spelling, grammar, and style in everyday usage.

There is one other less thread-related thing which people tend to underestimate: I do feel offended when people ask for someone to spend time helping them but don't bother to spend twenty seconds for proof-reading their text because their time is too valuable for such trivialities. What himanshu123 achieves by his sloppy writing is that the answer he gets are from people who don't work in the field, but merely feel like posting some phrases they heard somewhere.
Well, first off, aside from his forgetting the t in theoretical, and some minor grammar issues, his writing skills weren't THAT bad. Certainly not, be-an-***-and-say-I-can't-read-it-and-not-help-with-the-actual-question bad. At the very most he could have helped and wrote at the end that proper spelling and grammar is an essential step in a higher education, or sent him a PM to not embarrass him.

1. What education is required to become a theoretical physicist?

To become a theoretical physicist, you typically need at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field such as mathematics. Many theoretical physicists also have a graduate degree, such as a master's or PhD, in theoretical physics.

2. What skills are necessary to become a theoretical physicist?

In addition to a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, theoretical physicists must possess critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and strong analytical and mathematical skills. They should also have a curiosity and passion for exploring and understanding the laws of the universe.

3. Is it necessary to have research experience to become a theoretical physicist?

Research experience is not required to become a theoretical physicist, but it can be beneficial. Many theoretical physicists participate in research projects during their graduate studies, which can help develop their skills and knowledge in the field.

4. What career options are available for theoretical physicists?

Theoretical physicists can work in a variety of industries, including academia, government, and private research institutions. They may also pursue careers in fields such as engineering, finance, or data science, where their analytical and problem-solving skills are highly valued.

5. How can I continue to develop my skills as a theoretical physicist?

To continue growing as a theoretical physicist, it is important to stay updated on current research and advancements in the field. This can be done through attending conferences, networking with other physicists, and staying engaged in the scientific community. Additionally, continuing education and pursuing advanced degrees can help deepen your understanding of theoretical physics.