"How to become a successful physicist"

• Studying
  • Thread starter apostolosdt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary, the conversation is about an interesting article that appeared in Physics Today, which discusses the "Master-apprentice" method for training of PhD candidates by a thesis advisor. The article also mentions the multitude of factors that influence a student's future success before they even begin their formal studies in physics. The conversation also touches on the topic of how every child starts out as a scientist and the importance of nurturing that sense of wonder and curiosity.
apostolosdt
An interesting article has appeared in Physics Today, Vol. 75, Issue 9 (2022), p. 46., "How to become a successful physicist," by Carl Wieman of Stanford.

Physics news on Phys.org
apostolosdt said:
An interesting article has appeared in Physics Today, Vol. 75, Issue 9 (2022), p. 46., "How to become a successful physicist," by Carl Wieman of Stanford.
Just began to look at article, online, by highlighting and right-clicking, choosing "New Tab" and found https://physicstoday.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/PT.3.5082 . The first interesting discussion is the "Master-apprentice" method...

apostolosdt said:
Something I do not find in the article, so which is therefore missing, is The process or processes which any successful physicist follows BEFORE formally studying Physics, etc., in school. Most students "begin their serious studies" at age of about 17, 18, 19. We should try to understand, what should be happening between age 1 and age 17, if someone is to become a successful physicist, or engineer, or biological scientist, or whatever.

• Skeptical
Likes PhDeezNutz and PeroK
symbolipoint said:
Something I do not find in the article, so which is therefore missing, is The process or processes which any successful physicist follows BEFORE formally studying Physics, etc., in school. Most students "begin their serious studies" at age of about 17, 18, 19. We should try to understand, what should be happening between age 1 and age 17, if someone is to become a successful physicist, or engineer, or biological scientist, or whatever.
I think Wieman's research group has confined its scope to postgrad years. Your comment, however, is interesting. I guess each one of us has a different story to tell.

symbolipoint said:
YES! I AM SERIOUS ABOUT THIS!

Likes PhDeezNutz
"Everybody starts out as a scientist. Every child has the scientist's sense of wonder and awe." Carl Sagan

National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 1998. Every Child a Scientist: Achieving Scientific Literacy for All. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/6005.

Likes hutchphd and berkeman
symbolipoint said:
The article focusses on training of PhD candidates by a thesis advisor. In the US, this phase would typically begin after completion of a bachelor's degree and after acceptance into a research group (in some US universities, students are not accepted into a research group until they have successfully passed their qualification exams). Hence, students would typically be ~21 or so. During the thesis research, the advisor has primary external (other than the students') responsibility ...and control... over the future success of the students.

Prior to the thesis research, there is a multitude of teachers (and other individuals), not a single individual, who influence the future success of the students. If you rewind enough, then the number of factors that influence students' future success in any particular field explodes (parents, family, friends, family economic status, country, neighborhood, government, educational opportunities, religion, culture, gender, ...)

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
CrysPhys said:
Prior to the thesis research, there is a multitude of teachers (and other individuals), not a single individual, who influence the future success of the students. If you rewind enough, then the number of factors that influence students' future success in any particular field explodes (parents, family, friends, family economic status, country, neighborhood, government, educational opportunities, religion, culture, gender, ...)
The passage finally begins to say something about what I asked, but does not take any paths. Should I register a new topic? I simply (or not so simply) asked, based purely on the title of the topic here, "How to become a successful physicist".

symbolipoint said:
YES! I AM SERIOUS ABOUT THIS!
Please do not shout.

symbolipoint said:
which is therefore missing
The fact that an article which someone else used to start a thread, does not happen to address a question you personally find important, does not mean that information is "missing" from the article.

symbolipoint said:
Should I register a new topic?
Since you appear to be asking about something different from the topic of the article referenced in the OP, yes, you should start a new thread.

CrysPhys said:
The article focusses on training of PhD candidates by a thesis advisor. In the US, this phase would typically begin after completion of a bachelor's degree and after acceptance into a research group (in some US universities, students are not accepted into a research group until they have successfully passed their qualification exams). Hence, students would typically be ~21 or so.
In the US, students typically finish their bachelor's degree at 22. I joined my PhD research group in the second half of my second year of grad school, i.e. at about age 24.

jtbell said:
In the US, students typically finish their bachelor's degree at 22. I joined my PhD research group in the second half of my second year of grad school, i.e. at about age 24.
Yes. There's a spread of ages. That's why I intentionally had the vague wording "~21 or so". I didn't want to get into the nuances of a kid's birthdate, cutoff date for entering kindergarten, and, if a kid's birthdate is close to the cutoff date, whether the parents are comfortable with the kid being among the youngest in the entering kindergarten class or whether the parents hold back the kid for a year (so the kid will be among the oldest).

And in some universities, entering grad students can join a research group right away; while, as I mentioned above, in other universities, grad students must pass their quals first.

In my particular instance, my birthdate was such that I was close to the kindergarten cutoff; my parents chose not to hold me back a year; and I got my bachelor's diploma when I was 21. If I had chosen to go to a grad school in which I was accepted into a research group right away, I would have joined a research group at 21. The grad school I did choose required passing the quals first. Most physics grad students took their quals at the start of their second year. I elected to take my quals early, after my first semester. I passed, and was accepted into a research group when I was 22.

CrysPhys said:
I didn't want to get into the nuances of a kid's birthdate, cutoff date for entering kindergarten, and, if a kid's birthdate is close to the cutoff date, whether the parents are comfortable with the kid being among the youngest in the entering kindergarten class or whether the parents hold back the kid for a year (so the kid will be among the oldest).
And then there are kids like me... I skipped an early grade. After that, I was a year younger than most of my classmates in school, college, and grad school.

1. How much education is required to become a successful physicist?

The path to becoming a successful physicist typically involves obtaining a bachelor's degree, followed by a master's degree and a PhD in physics. This can take anywhere from 8-12 years of education.

2. What skills are necessary to excel as a physicist?

In addition to a strong foundation in mathematics and science, successful physicists possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They also have a passion for learning, a curiosity about the natural world, and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively.

3. Is it necessary to work in academia to be a successful physicist?

No, there are many opportunities for physicists in industries such as healthcare, technology, and government. However, working in academia can provide access to cutting-edge research and collaboration opportunities.

4. How important is research experience in becoming a successful physicist?

Research experience is crucial for developing the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in the field of physics. It also demonstrates to potential employers or graduate schools that you have hands-on experience in conducting experiments and analyzing data.

5. What advice do you have for aspiring physicists?

My advice would be to never stop learning and to always stay curious. Take advantage of research opportunities, network with other physicists, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Also, be persistent and resilient, as a career in physics can be challenging but also incredibly rewarding.