1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Become a Physicist without a degree

Tags:
  1. May 13, 2015 #1

Balabhadruni

Gold Member

iam studying UG Bachelor of Electronics & Communication III year, i wish to end my bachelors and start my private research. my life ambition is to become a physicist, i have published 6 research papers till now in various streams. is there any scope of becoming a physicist without a degree if so how can i become one.
    if not how can i get in to MS or Phd without a degree.
    -thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2
    Formally, "physicist" is not a protected term. You are usually not allowed to call yourself a policeman, a judge, a physician or a doctor of science. But everyone is free to call themselves a physicist, I think. Now, I assume you want to fill this term with actual content. So the question back to you is: what is this content that you want to fill it with? In other words: What would it take for you to call yourself a physicist? Doing your private research usually is something that no one prevents you from doing, as long as this research does not violate any laws or regulations.

As for your alternative question: If I understand you correctly you plan to get a degree. So your question might better be "how can I get a MS or PhD in physics if my BS is not in physics?". An undergrad degree in engineering is certainly worth much more than no degree at all with regards to switching to physics. (EDIT: This sections assumes "end" means "finish" - I just realized it could as well mean "quit").

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. May 13, 2015 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook