How to build different structures using programming

In summary, the OP asked how to generate a tip geometry made of a single atom at the apex of a pyramid-like structure, and was provided a link to a tutorial on how to do so.
acharya4689
Hi All,

Greetings..!

I am a master student in nanoelectronics from India. I wish to know how to generate nanostructures (for example as shown in figure attached) using programming (C/Python). Are there any algorithms or literature that discuss how some random structure of nanoclusters can be generated by computer programming... Please help me in this regard..!

Thank you...!

Attachments

• Al.png
    Al.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't generate nanostructures using programming language. My bet is that you are looking for methods of simulating them using a computer. That can be broken into two parts: model used for simulation, and code required to implement the simulation. And yes, there are books on both - but the way you asked the question suggests you need something very basic as a starting point. See if you can put your hands on these books:

Alejandro L. Garcia, Numerical Methods for Physics (Prentice Hall, 1994)
J.M. Thijssen. Computational Physics. Springer Verlag, 1999.
S.E. Koonin and D. Meredith. Computational Physics. Addison Wesley, 1990.
J. Gibbs. Computational Physics. World Scientific, 1994.
B. Giordano. Computational Physics. Preston, 2005.

The OP may well have been asking if there are algorithms to generate "random" structures, which would then ultimately be studied in the ways Borek suggested. I don't think there is a generic answer to this question, and depends more on the application and structure of interest. For example, a slightly disordered crystal structure could be generated by simply adding a small random displacement to the position of each atom. However, more disordered structures (such as random close packed) can be extremely hard to generate on the computer, and require more sophisticated algorithms (finite T molecular dynamics, annealing, etc).

t!m said:
The OP may well have been asking if there are algorithms to generate "random" structures, which would then ultimately be studied in the ways Borek suggested. I don't think there is a generic answer to this question, and depends more on the application and structure of interest. For example, a slightly disordered crystal structure could be generated by simply adding a small random displacement to the position of each atom. However, more disordered structures (such as random close packed) can be extremely hard to generate on the computer, and require more sophisticated algorithms (finite T molecular dynamics, annealing, etc).

Thank you t!m for the reply. Well here I want to build a tip geometry (a pyramid structure with square base) a single atom at the apex and every layer the number of atoms are i**2 (i number of layers). How to I generate such structure.

Likes 1 person

1. How can I use programming to build a website?

To build a website using programming, you will need to learn HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. HTML is used to structure the content of the website, CSS is used to style the website, and JavaScript is used to add interactivity. There are also many frameworks and libraries available that can help simplify the process of building a website using programming.

2. Can I use programming to build mobile applications?

Yes, you can use programming to build mobile applications. There are various programming languages and frameworks available for building mobile apps, such as Java for Android and Swift for iOS. You can also use cross-platform frameworks like React Native or Flutter to build apps that work on both Android and iOS.

3. How can I use programming to create 3D models?

You can use programming to create 3D models by using libraries and frameworks such as WebGL or Three.js. These tools allow you to write code to create and manipulate 3D objects and render them in a web browser. You can also use programming languages like Python with specialized libraries like Blender to create 3D models.

4. Is it possible to use programming to build robots?

Yes, programming is commonly used to build robots. There are various programming languages and platforms that can be used, such as Arduino, Raspberry Pi, or ROS (Robot Operating System). These platforms allow you to write code to control the hardware components of a robot, such as motors and sensors, and make the robot perform specific tasks.

5. Can programming be used to build virtual reality experiences?

Yes, programming is used in the development of virtual reality experiences. You can use game engines like Unity or Unreal Engine, which have built-in support for VR development. These engines allow you to use programming to create interactive 3D environments, add physics and audio effects, and control user interactions in virtual reality.