How to Calculate Charge on a Balloon After Losing Electrons

  • Thread starter Thread starter sonastylol
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Balloon Electrons
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 10K views
sonastylol
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Balloon losing electrons

Homework Statement


You have a neutral balloon. The charge of an electron is -1.6x10^-19C.
What is its charge after 19000 electrons have been removed from it? Answer in units
of microcoulombs.


Homework Equations


I THINK Q = Ne


The Attempt at a Solution


This question should be very easy but for some reason I am hesitant to answer it any more because I lose points every time I do it. I understand that when you remove electrons from an object the particle becomes positively charged, so this rules out a negative answer.

I tried 19000 x 1.6x10^-19 and submitted that answer = 3.04x10^-15
I also tried 19000 x 1.6x10^-19 x 10^-6 ( converting to microC ), and that answer was still wrong = 3.04x10^-21

What am I doing wrong? This seems too simple ... :(
Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org