How to Calculate Current in a Solenoid with Given Field and Dimensions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeachBanana
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Current Solenoid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
PeachBanana
Messages
189
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 27.0-cm long solenoid 1.25 cm in diameter is to produce a field of 0.215 T at its center. How much current should the solenoid carry if it has 900 turns of the wire?

Homework Equations



B = μIN / l

The Attempt at a Solution



Why am I given the diameter plus the length? Everything else is obvious except this concept. I thought l would equal = 0.27 m. Should I add 0.625 + 0.27 m because the magnetic field is produced at the center?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
you don't need the diameter at all for this problem ;)