How to Calculate Energy Stored in an RLC Circuit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
danbone87
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 21.0 \mu F capacitor is charged by a 160.0-{\rm V} power supply, then disconnected from the power and connected in series with a 0.220-{\rm mH} inductor.

Calculate the energy stored in the capacitor at time t = 0{\rm{ ms}} (the moment of connection with the inductor).

Calculate the energy stored in the inductor at t = 1.30 ms.

Homework Equations



i=-omegaQsin(omega*t)

and U=.5LI^2

I need to either find charge q or a resistance value to find I with and I'm stuck..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi danbone87,

danbone87 said:
A 21.0 \mu F capacitor is charged by a 160.0-{\rm V} power supply,

The way the capacitor is initially connected by itself to the battery will give you its initaial Q value.

danbone87 said:
I need to either find charge q or a resistance value to find I with and I'm stuck..

If I'm reading the problem correctly, there is no resistor; just a capacitor connected to an inductor.
 
A 21.0 \mu F capacitor is charged by a 160.0-{\rm V} power supply, then disconnected from the power and connected in series with a 0.220-{\rm mH} inductor.

Calculate the energy stored in the capacitor at time t = 0{\rm{ ms}} (the moment of connection with the inductor).

Calculate the energy stored in the inductor at t = 1.30 ms.ans= q=cv=22u*160m gives u charge
energy=.5*22u*160m*160m=1/2(c*v*v)
now
VL=Ldi/dt