1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum energy stored in a capacitor? RLC circuit

1. Jul 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The current in a series RLC circuit leads the generator voltage by φ = 30°. The circuit, containing an inductor L = 400 mH and a resistor R = 50 Ω, is driven by a generator operating at ω = 100 rad/s with a maximum emf of 10 V. The capacitance is unknown.

The first question regarding this prompt is to find the capacitance, which is 145e-6F.

This is the question I am stumped on:

In terms of the maximum energy UC,max stored in the capacitor and the angle φ by which the current leads the generator voltage, the energy UC stored in the capacitor when the time is t = π/2ω is:

The correct answer is UC = UC,max sin^2φ

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've drawn my phasor diagrams, but I don't understand the correct answer. Is the voltage across the capacitor the component of the voltage across the generator pointing in the direction of X_c, the capacitor's impedance? If so, I get how a sin^2(phi) term would be used, because that would be the V^2 part of U = 1/2*cV^2, but I don't see how that would give me UC,max *sin^2(phi).
    I will appreciate any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2015 #2
    This is just a normal box series RLC circuit with a battery, resistor, capacitor, and inductor in series. Sorry for not including!

4. Jul 30, 2015 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Y
    You have to work with time dependence of the current and voltages. Assuming the generator voltage is Vg=Vg0sin(ωt),
    what is the time dependence of the current and the capacitor voltage?

5. Jul 30, 2015 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

There is no escaping this: you will need to show, and then use, the phasor diagram of current and voltages.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted