How to calculate friction of wheels of car?

In summary: J.In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary calculations to determine the friction of a car's wheels and air resistance in order to accelerate the car to a desired speed. The suggested formula includes factors such as the car's mass, acceleration, distance traveled, and coefficients for friction. The conversation also mentions the potential for air resistance to play a role in the car's acceleration. The final calculation results in a total energy of 62625 J.
vissarion.eu
If car of mass m=1000 kg I want to accelerate to speed v=50 m/s then to me need to calculate friction of car axis on which puted wheels and friction of wheels into ground and air friction. So I suggesting such formula
m*a*t+k*m*a*S+c*m*a*S=m*a*t+k*0.5*m*v^2+0.5*c*m*v^2, where a is acceleration of car say a=10 m/s/s and S is distance which car made until got speed v=50 m/s and k is friction koeficient of car wheels inside car and to the ground and c is koeficient for air friction. I would give k=0.01 and c=0.0001 and t is 5 seconds. So total energy of car:
m*a*t+k*0.5*m*v^2+0.5*c*m*v^2= 1000*10*5+0.01*0.5*1000*50*50+0.0001*0.5*1000*50*50= 50000+12500+125= 62625 J.
If you can calculate better just calculate and show and don't blame my formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
vissarion.eu said:
If car of mass m=1000 kg I want to accelerate to speed v=50 m/s then to me need to calculate friction of car axis on which puted wheels and friction of wheels into ground and air friction. So I suggesting such formula
m*a*t+k*m*a*S+c*m*a*S=m*a*t+k*0.5*m*v^2+0.5*c*m*v^2, where a is acceleration of car say a=10 m/s/s and S is distance which car made until got speed v=50 m/s and k is friction koeficient of car wheels inside car and to the ground and c is koeficient for air friction. I would give k=0.01 and c=0.0001 and t is 5 seconds. So total energy of car:
m*a*t+k*0.5*m*v^2+0.5*c*m*v^2= 1000*10*5+0.01*0.5*1000*50*50+0.0001*0.5*1000*50*50= 50000+12500+125= 62625 J.
If you can calculate better just calculate and show and don't blame my formula.
To calculate the friction loss due to wheels you can give the car a known quantity of energy and then see how far it will coast on the flat. [itex]mv^2/2d = F = \mu_kN[/itex] (You have to be careful not to give it too much speed to begin as the air resistance could be significant).

The problem with factoring in the air resistance is that it is proportional to speed or speed^2. Kinetic friction force on the wheels is a constant force.

AM

AM

I would like to provide a response to this content by first acknowledging that the formula provided is a valid approach to calculating the friction of wheels of a car. However, I would like to point out that there are a few assumptions and simplifications made in this formula that may not accurately represent the real-world scenario.

Firstly, the formula assumes that the car is accelerating at a constant rate of 10 m/s/s, which may not always be the case. In reality, the acceleration of a car is influenced by various factors such as the engine power, weight distribution, and road conditions. Therefore, a more accurate approach would be to consider the changing acceleration of the car over time.

Secondly, the formula only considers the friction between the car's wheels and the ground, and the air resistance. However, there are other sources of friction that can affect the movement of a car, such as the friction between the car's internal components, the friction between the tires and the road surface, and the friction between the brake pads and the wheels. These additional sources of friction can significantly impact the overall energy required to accelerate the car to the desired speed.

Furthermore, the values of the friction coefficients (k and c) used in the formula are assumed to be constant, which may not always be the case. The friction between the car's wheels and the ground can vary depending on the type of road surface, while the air resistance can change due to factors such as wind speed and direction. Therefore, a more precise calculation would involve considering the changing values of these coefficients.

In conclusion, while the formula provided can give an estimated value for the friction of wheels of a car, it is essential to acknowledge the assumptions and simplifications made in this approach. As a scientist, it is crucial to consider all the relevant factors and variables when calculating any physical quantity to ensure the accuracy of the results.

1. What is friction and why is it important for car wheels?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It is important for car wheels because it allows for the car to move forward and maintain control while driving.

2. How do you calculate the friction of car wheels?

The friction of car wheels can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road by the weight of the car.

3. What factors affect the friction of car wheels?

The factors that affect the friction of car wheels include the type and condition of the tires, the weight and speed of the car, and the surface of the road.

4. How can I reduce the friction of car wheels?

To reduce the friction of car wheels, you can use tires with a lower coefficient of friction, maintain proper tire pressure, and avoid excessive braking or acceleration.

5. Is it possible to have too much friction on car wheels?

Yes, too much friction on car wheels can cause excessive wear on the tires and decrease fuel efficiency. It can also lead to loss of control while driving, especially in wet or icy conditions.