How to Calculate Initial Molarity of S2O32- in a Trial

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 5K views
TypeFun
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the initial molarity of S2O32- in each trial given that each trial has 1.00 mL of .010 M Na2S2O3 and a total volume of 7.00 mL.


Homework Equations


mol = g/(g/mol)
M1V1=M2V2

The Attempt at a Solution


(1)(.01)=7x
.0014=x
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Hmm. Well that's really not that helpful to me. Do you have a hint on what I should do? I mean, I wouldn't be asking on this forum if I wasn't in need of help.
 


Easier to use the definition of molarity. How many moles compound in each trial? How much volume of finished solution in each trial? Calculate the ratio.
 


symbolipoint said:
How many moles compound in each trial? How much volume of finished solution in each trial? Calculate the ratio.

It does not give the number of moles per trial. The question written above is all the information given.

The total volume is 7.00 mL. Is that how much volume of finished solution would be in each trial?
 


The total volume is 7.00 mL. Is that how much volume of finished solution would be in each trial?

Yes.
 


I'm still struggling.
I've calculated the grams of Na2S2O3 = 1.58 g, but I'm still confused as to how I get the molarity of S2O3
 


TypeFun said:
I'm still struggling.
I've calculated the grams of Na2S2O3 = 1.58 g, but I'm still confused as to how I get the molarity of S2O3

You have the molarity of the stock solution. You have the volume of a trial. These are enough to calculate molarity of a trial.