How to Calculate Likelihood of Electron Jumping a Gap in Air?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter liquidFuzz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Air Electron
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
liquidFuzz
Messages
107
Reaction score
6
I'd like to calculate the likeliness of an electron jumping a gap of 100 to 200 nm. I have a source emitting electrons, the potential is 10 - 20 V. What is the proper way of calculate this?

[itex]\displaystyle N = N_0 e ^{-?}[/itex] where [itex]N_0[/itex] is the amount of emitted electrons. If I use this way, how do I determine the speed of the decline, in other words the exponent in the formula?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to look up the mean free path of an electron in a STP air.

Note that the mean free path may also be dependent on the energy of the electrons.

Zz.