How to Calculate Magnetic Field in a Toroid Using Ampere's Law?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 30K views
sfdevil
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Use Ampere’s law to calculate the magnetic field inside of a toroid with 850 turns. The inner radius of the rectangular coils is 3.00 cm, the outer radius is 7.00 cm.

Homework Equations



ampere's law: path integral(B*ds) over a closed path is equal to the enclosed current times mu_0

The Attempt at a Solution



by ampere's law for toroids, I get B= mu_0*N*I/(2*pi*R)
Im confused as to what the inner and outer radius have to do with this problem,
hence the cry for help :(
anyone ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The two radii are there so you can determine the axis of toroidal coils. This is chosen as it simplifies Amperes circuital law to the equation you have stated.
 
so basically these numbers don't really matter, right ?
since I am finding the magnetic field inside the toroid, its just going to be r as an arbitrary length from the center to some point inside (between 3 and 7 cms) ...correct ?

if so, then the final solution is mu_0*850*I/(2*pi*R), right ?
 
so from that explanation, I got that since inner radius is 3 and outer is 7, then radius of the rectangular cross-section is 4/2=2
so r=3+2=5

thats about as much as I could get from that page, please let me know If I am still missing something...