What is the magnetic field of a half toroid?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
VelocityOfTheSound
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
What is the magnetic field of a half toroid?
Relevant Equations
Magnetic field of a toroid: μo*N*i / 2*pi*r
Hello,
I would like to know what is the magnetic field of a half toroid.

Would we use Ampere's law? So, considering that the integral is equal to BA, we would have BA = μo * i, then B = (μo * i) / r. But, using Biot-Savart's law, by symmetry, it seems that the vector sum of all the differential magnetic fields is zero.

What is the true answer for this problem? How can I find it? Where are my mistakes?

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just to be certain: cut in half which way? Air core? This is likely not simple.
 
hutchphd said:
Just to be certain: cut in half which way? Air core? This is likely not simple.
I will show an image.
 
Attachments
  • Half-toroid.jpg
    Half-toroid.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 258