How to calculate measurement error by using other quantities?

In summary: The recommended procedure is outlined in the BIPM (International Bureau of Weights and Measures) "Guide to Uncertainty and Measurement". In very general terms, one would typically linearise the function about the expectation and compute the uncertainty/variance using the appropriate linear transformation of variable.Alternatively, if the uncertainty is large relative to the principal value, you will need to use a second order (or higher) expansion and things get a bit more complicated.Also, you need to be mindful of correlations that might be present in your random variables. The wiki page on "variance" gives a good summary on how to separate correlated variables.
Lotto
TL;DR Summary
When I measure some quantities and then want to calculate an another quantity using these ones (I have determined their measurement error) how to do it in general?
Let's say I have ##F=mg \tan \alpha## and want to calculate ##F##. I know ##m=(1.0 \pm 0.5)\,\mathrm{kg}## and ##\alpha=(20.5 \pm 0.5)° ##. How to calculate ##F=( 3.7 \pm ?)\,\mathrm N##? What is the general method of determining a measurement error in these cases?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

With a 50% uncertainty in ##m##, all other errors are unimportant.

For other cases, check here

##\ ##

Likes Leopold89
BvU said:
Hi,

With a 50% uncertainty in ##m##, all other errors are unimportant.

For other cases, check here

##\ ##
And can I determine the total measurement error as ##\sigma_F=\sqrt {\left(\frac Fm {\sigma_m}\right)^2+\left(\frac {F}{\alpha} {\sigma_{\alpha}}\right)^2}##? Or ##\sigma_F=\sqrt {\left(\frac Fm {\sigma_m}\right)^2+\left(\frac {F}{\sin \alpha} {\sigma_{\sin \alpha}}\right)^2}##?

Neither of the two is correct. What is the formula to use ?
And what is the derivatve of ##\tan\alpha## ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
Neither of the two is correct. What is the formula to use ?
And what is the derivatve of ##\tan\alpha## ?

##\ ##
My fault, I meant ##\tan \alpha## in the second equation. And I think I could do it this way, since we did at school this for instance: ##\sigma_{\rho}=\sqrt {\left(\frac {\rho}{m} {\sigma_m}\right)^2+\left(\frac {\rho}{V} {\sigma_V}\right)^2}##. I know that the general formula contains partial derivatives, but we haven't done them, so I try to do it like at school.

Lotto said:
I know that the general formula contains partial derivatives, but we haven't done them, so I try to do it like at school.
Then it's a bit awkward indeed! Kudos for trying.
What I meant was that the general formula is indeed $$\sigma_f^2 = \left (\partial f\over \partial m\right )^2 \sigma_m^2 + \left (\partial f\over \partial \alpha\right )^2\sigma_\alpha^2$$ and the derivative of ##\tan\alpha## is ##{1\over \cos^2\alpha}\ ## as in the examples.

with your values ##\sigma_m = 0.5## kg and ##\sigma_\alpha = {0.5\over 180}\pi##, so that the term ## \left (\partial f\over \partial m\right )^2 \sigma_m^2 ## is 350 times bigger than the term ## \left (\partial f\over \partial \alpha\right )^2\sigma_\alpha^2## .

For small ##\alpha## we have ##\tan\alpha\approx\alpha## which yields your first expression in post #3.
(the second expression can be seen to be incorrect: it blows up for ##\alpha\downarrow 0## :wink: )

Either way (thorough or approximation) is no better than completely ignoring the 2.5% ##\sigma## in ##\alpha## opposite the 50% ##\sigma## in ##m##.

##\ ##

Likes Lotto
The recommended procedure is outlined in the BIPM (International Bureau of Weights and Measures) "Guide to Uncertainty and Measurement". In very general terms, one would typically linearise the function about the expectation and compute the uncertainty/variance using the appropriate linear transformation of variable.

In cases where the uncertainty is large relative to the principal value, you will need to use a second order (or higher) expansion and things get a bit more complicated.

Also, you need to be mindful of correlations that might be present in your random variables. The wiki page on "variance" gives a good summary on how to separate correlated variables.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is measurement error?

Measurement error refers to the difference between the measured value of a quantity and its true or accepted value. It can occur due to various factors such as instrument limitations, human error, or environmental conditions.

2. How is measurement error calculated?

Measurement error can be calculated by finding the difference between the measured value and the true value, and then dividing it by the true value. This result is then multiplied by 100 to get a percentage, which represents the relative measurement error.

3. Can other quantities be used to calculate measurement error?

Yes, measurement error can be calculated by using other quantities such as the standard deviation, mean, or variance. These quantities provide a measure of the spread or variation in a set of data, which can be used to determine the accuracy of a measurement.

4. Why is it important to calculate measurement error?

Calculating measurement error is important because it allows us to evaluate the accuracy and reliability of our measurements. It helps us identify any sources of error and make adjustments to improve the precision of our measurements.

5. How can measurement error be minimized?

Measurement error can be minimized by using precise and accurate instruments, calibrating them regularly, and following proper measurement techniques. It is also important to consider and control any external factors that may affect the measurement, such as temperature or human error.