How to Calculate Midspan Deflection of a Cantilever Beam with Uniform Load?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
raymanmusic
Messages
30
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


How do I find an expression for the deflection at midspan for a cantilever beam loaded with a uniformly distributed load?

Illustration of beam: http://goo.gl/3SxeVZ


Homework Equations


[itex]\delta = \frac{Qx^2}{24EI}(6L^2-4Lx+x^2)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Attempt at solution: http://goo.gl/umUBkU

My current answer is: [itex]\frac{49QL^4}{1280EI}[/itex], I think this is wrong. Putting [itex]x = \frac{L}{2}[/itex] in the elastic curve formula I get: [itex]\frac{17QL^4}{384EI}[/itex], I think this is the correct answer.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can always check your formula for the deflection by setting x = L and seeing if your result is the same as that from a beam table.
 
raymanmusic: qx = q, not qx = q*x/L. Try again.
 
Yes, that was the mistake. I got the correct answer now: [itex]\frac{17QL^4}{384EI}[/itex]. Thank you nvn.