Calculating Deflection and Stress in a Tapered Cantilever Beam

In summary, the user is seeking help with a beam problem involving an I-section cantilever that tapers in depth along its length. They are trying to figure out the deflection formula and how to derive it, as well as how to calculate the bending and shear stress. It is mentioned that the moment of inertia of the beam varies with length and that the regular formulas for bending stress and shear stress still apply, but the section properties of the beam must be calculated at the specific location of interest. The user is asking for assistance as they are completely lost.
Timisoarian
Hey all,
So I have this beam problem and I honestly am lost with it!
The beam is I-section cantilever, tapers in depth along its length (See picture attached) with a point load at the free end. I am trying to figure out the deflection formula and how to derive it! Also, when calculating its bending stress and shear stress, is it the same way as a normal beam?
Please guys, any help is appreciated it as I am completely lost!

Attachments

• Tapered beam 2.jpg
    Tapered beam 2.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 7,019
Physics news on Phys.org
Timisoarian said:
Hey all,
The beam is I-section cantilever, tapers in depth along its length (See picture attached) with a point load at the free end. I am trying to figure out the deflection formula and how to derive it!
There probably won't be a simple deflection formula. Since the moment of inertia of the beam varies with length, deflections will probably best be calculated using the double integration method:

[itex]θ(x) = \int^x_0 \frac{M(x)}{EI(x)} dx + C_1[/itex]

[itex]δ(x) = \int^x_0 θ(x) dx + C_2[/itex]

where:

θ(x) - slope of the beam
δ(x) - deflection of the beam
I(x) - moment of inertia of the beam, as a function of the length
E - Young's modulus for the beam material

C1 and C2 - constants of integration; determined by applying the boundary conditions at the fixed end, i.e. θ(0) = δ(0) = 0.

Even if you can determine the moment of inertia I(x) as a function of x, you probably won't get simple functions for M(x)/I(x) to integrate. You may have to use a numerical integration method to obtain θ and δ.

Also, when calculating its bending stress and shear stress, is it the same way as a normal beam?

The shear force and bending moment diagrams are calculated based on the loading of the beam only. The taper does not come into play.

The regular formulas for bending stress and shear stress still apply ... you do have to calculate the section properties of the beam at the location where you want to determine the stresses. Unlike a prismatic beam, if you change the location of where the stresses are calculated, you must re-calculate the section properties at that new location.

Timisoarian said:
Hey all,

The beam is I-section cantilever, tapers in depth along its length (See picture attached) with a point load at the free end. I am trying to figure out the deflection formula and how to derive it! Also, when calculating its bending stress and shear stress, is it the same way as a normal beam?

Please guys, any help is appreciated it as I am completely lost!
For the statically determinate beam, bending moments and shear forces at any point along the beam are the same as a non tapered beam, but bending and shear stresses will depend upon the geometric properties of the beam cross section at the point in question. For deflection, since I is non-uniform, you'll have to do the calculus using one of those deflection equations. Like [itex]\int{( mM/EI) }dx[/itex] .

Two threads merged, and moved to homework.

1. What is a tapered cantilever beam?

A tapered cantilever beam is a structural element that is fixed at one end (the cantilever) and has a gradually decreasing cross-section along its length. This design allows for a reduction in weight while maintaining strength and stiffness.

2. What are the benefits of using a tapered cantilever beam?

The main benefit of using a tapered cantilever beam is its improved strength-to-weight ratio. The gradual decrease in cross-section reduces weight while maintaining strength, making it ideal for applications where weight is a critical factor.

3. How is a tapered cantilever beam analyzed?

Tapered cantilever beams can be analyzed using mathematical equations or numerical methods, such as finite element analysis. The analysis takes into account the beam's dimensions, material properties, and applied loads to determine the stresses and deflections within the beam.

4. What are the common uses of tapered cantilever beams?

Tapered cantilever beams are commonly used in engineering and construction applications, such as bridges, buildings, and aerospace structures. They are also used in machines and equipment, such as cranes and lifts, where weight reduction is important.

5. What factors should be considered when designing a tapered cantilever beam?

When designing a tapered cantilever beam, factors such as the material properties, applied loads, and desired strength and stiffness must be considered. The taper angle, beam length, and cross-sectional dimensions also play a significant role in the design process.