1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Castigaliano's Theorem for cantilever beams

1. Nov 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi I am trying to derive an expression for the deflection in a cantilever beam using castigliano's theorem.
    I have found and attached an example of the solution. I understand the most of what is going on in the attached solution but I don't know where the b^3 came from in the line (b)
    castigliano for beam deflection.PNG

2. Relevant equations
    see attached

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I perform the integration from line (a) i get
    L^2/6(2L-3b). Can anybody explain where the b^3 in line (b) comes from

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Remember what the <x-b> notation means. How will you integrate wrt x over 0 to l?

4. Nov 3, 2017 #3
    Are the angular brackets in <a-b> something to do with a singularity function, that is only turned on for certain cases.

5. Nov 3, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

They mean (in the context of moments in beams etc.) max{a-b, 0}.

6. Nov 3, 2017 #5
    for max{x-b, 0}. I think x-b was chosen as the max in the attached example. so does this mean that <x-b>
    can now be change to (x-b) ?

7. Nov 3, 2017 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No.
    x is the variable of integration and takes values from 0 to l. Draw a graph of <x-b> over that range. How are you going to integrate it?

8. Nov 8, 2017 #7
    I am having difficulty drawing the graph of <x - b> because I dont have a value for b yet. can you give me a further hint please.

9. Nov 8, 2017 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I just meant a schematic graph, it does not have to be exact. x has some range. b is a point within that range.

10. Nov 8, 2017 #9
    you also mentioned about integrating from 0 to L. This would give me ((L^2)/6)*(2L-3B)) - ((0^2)/6)*(2(0)-3B)). is this correct ?

11. Nov 8, 2017 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. You cannot integrate until you have figured out what to do with the <x-b>.
    Have you tried to sketch a graph of <x-b> over the range 0 to L? Remember that 0<b<L. What does it look like?

12. Nov 9, 2017 #11
    I have plotted two charts with different values for b. One chart plots b at 0.1. the other chart plots b at 0.9.
    I see in both cases that some of the <x-B> values are below the x-axis and some of the <x-b> are above the x-axis.

13. Nov 9, 2017 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

By definition (see post #4) it is never below the x axis.

14. Nov 9, 2017 #13
    ok. So i guess I have to integrate between the limits of <x-b> greater than 0 and less that L. but how do i know if x-b is greater than 0 if I don't have a value for b.

15. Nov 9, 2017 #14

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

b is a given unknown. You do not need to know its value. Your answer will include a reference to it and be valid for all values of b.
    How would you integrate a function that has a discontinuity or suddenly changes slope at some point?

16. Nov 9, 2017 #15
    You would have to perform two integrations. the limits of Integration1 would be from the end to the discontinuity. The limits of Integration2 would be from the discontinuity to the other end. you would then add these integrations together.

17. Nov 9, 2017 #16

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right, so do that.

18. Nov 10, 2017 #17
    I performed one integration and I got the correct answer. I integrated using the limits b and L. My answer was (1/6)*((L^2)*(2L-3B) + B^3).
    haruspex thanks for you patience and help in getting me to the correct answer. I take it that I only needed to integrate as far as the discontinuity and did not need to integrate the other side !

19. Nov 10, 2017 #18

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, you do not need to integrate the range where it is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted