How to calculate my calculate my GPA

  • Thread starter Thread starter set
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gpa
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
set
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
As of my first term at uni, I got 83, 64, 84, 84, 95, (all equally weighted) with the average of 82. 82 is equivalent to 3.7, but if I were to assign each percentage grade a 4.0-scale-grade then I would get (3.7 + 2 + 3.7 + 3.7 + 4) / 5 = 3.42... Which one is the correct calculation?
(Wow that course in which I got a 64 just killed me... and I failed a course and another one with 62 XD)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
set said:
As of my first term at uni, I got 83, 64, 84, 84, 95, (all equally weighted) with the average of 82. 82 is equivalent to 3.7, but if I were to assign each percentage grade a 4.0-scale-grade then I would get (3.7 + 2 + 3.7 + 3.7 + 4) / 5 = 3.42... Which one is the correct calculation?
(Wow that course in which I got a 64 just killed me... and I failed a course and another one with 62 XD)

What function are you using to map the percentage to GPA?
 
berkeman said:
What function are you using to map the percentage to GPA?

I referred to this conversion chart:
90 - 100 => 4
85 - 89 => 3.9
80 - 84 => 3.7
77 - 79 => 3.3
73 - 76 => 3
70 - 72 => 2.7
67 - 69 => 2.3
63 - 66 => 2.0
60 - 62 => 1.7
57 - 59 => 1.3
53 - 56 => 1.0
50 - 52 => 0.7
0 - 49 => 0

Is university like this? I bombed one class and that dropped my GPA by almost one grade...
 
set said:
As of my first term at uni, I got 83, 64, 84, 84, 95, (all equally weighted) with the average of 82. 82 is equivalent to 3.7, but if I were to assign each percentage grade a 4.0-scale-grade then I would get (3.7 + 2 + 3.7 + 3.7 + 4) / 5 = 3.42... Which one is the correct calculation?
(Wow that course in which I got a 64 just killed me... and I failed a course and another one with 62 XD)

set said:
I referred to this conversion chart:
90 - 100 => 4
85 - 89 => 3.9
80 - 84 => 3.7
77 - 79 => 3.3
73 - 76 => 3
70 - 72 => 2.7
67 - 69 => 2.3
63 - 66 => 2.0
60 - 62 => 1.7
57 - 59 => 1.3
53 - 56 => 1.0
50 - 52 => 0.7
0 - 49 => 0

Is university like this? I bombed one class and that dropped my GPA by almost one grade...

Thank you for posting the transfer function. Does that answer your question? It's not a linear function over 0%-100%.
 
(3.7 + 2 + 3.7 + 3.7 + 4) / 5 = 3.42...
That's how most universities calculate it. I've never heard of one that doesn't calculate it that way (assuming equal credit hours per class).
 
So I have a C, C-, and a F in my first year, with a GPA less than 3.0...
Was anyone in this forum in a similar situation and could tell me how to get out of this? :S
 
set said:
So I have a C, C-, and a F in my first year, with a GPA less than 3.0...
Was anyone in this forum in a similar situation and could tell me how to get out of this? :S
Do better in future courses.