Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate refractive index from reflectance values

1. Aug 11, 2014 #1
    Greetings.
    how to calculate the refractive index, extinction coefficient, absorption coefficient values from the reflectance data. And also suggest me how to measure the transparency of glass. Is there any relation between transparency and refractive index

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Aug 21, 2014 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Not possible using only intensity measurements to my knowledge - you need to know the phase change upon reflection as amplitude to calculate the complex (i.e. refraction + absorption) refractive index.

Extinction and absorption coefficient are basically the same thing, transparency additionally depends on the thickness of the material you are looking at. Absorption coefficient is related to the imaginary component of the refractive index.

Claude.

5. Jan 30, 2015 #4
    Hi,
    do you know how i can calculate the phase shift of measured reflectance data? I find the dispersion relation formula but I can´t solve it.
    A step by step description will realy help.

thanks
    chris

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook