How to Calculate Relative Motion with Given Positions and Velocities?

In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity of a third point, V3, when given the location of three points, Z1, Z2, and Z3, and the velocities of two points, V_1 and V_2. The points are all on the same link, meaning their distances are fixed, and this provides two additional equations. The given numbers in the original post are incorrect and not possible.
PhysicsGenius

Homework Statement

I am given the location of 3 points in space:
Z1= 3+3i
Z2= 7+5i
Z3= 5+5i

and the velocity of two points:
V_1= 8+0i
V_2= 7+6i

How do I find V3?

Homework Equations

V_1/2= V_1-V_2
V_3= V1+V_3/1
V_2/1= V_2-V_1

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the equations, but I just can't seem to figure out how to relate V_3 with V_2 and V_1. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PhysicsGenius! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

I don't understand …

V3 could be anything :confused:

what is the complete question?​

Yeah, it looks like you're missing at least one piece of information about Z3.

that is the entire problem, it also states that the 3 points are all on the same link, if that helps

Last edited:
(just got up :zzz: …)
PhysicsGenius said:
that is the entire problem, it also states that the 3 points are all on the same link, if that helps

Do you mean the same line?

But that's obviously not true (unless, say, Z2 should have been 7 + 7i). :confused:

Being on the same link means that the distances between these points is fixed. This gives you two more independent equations:

(x1 - x2)2 + (y1 - y2)2 = (some constant),
(x1 - x3)2 + (y1 - y3)2 = (some other constant).

PhysicsGenius said:

You mean that Z1 Z2 and Z3 are three points on a rigid body?

But then (Z1 - Z2) should be perpendicular to (V1 - V2), which it isn't :confused:
PhysicsGenius said:
Z1= 3+3i
Z2= 7+5i
Z3= 5+5i

V_1= 8+0i
V_2= 7+6i

OK, I think I have figured out why this problem has baffled everyone, so far. It is a bogus problem. PhysicsGenius made up those numbers listed in post 1, pretending it is the given problem statement. PhysicsGenius is seemingly currently unaware that you cannot just arbitrarily type numbers. The numbers in post 1 are physically impossible.

PhysicsGenius: Please post the exact, full wording of the given problem statement. And proofread it carefully to ensure there are no typos. Also, please post any diagram, if it has one. I think we will be able to help you, if you do this.

Related to How to Calculate Relative Motion with Given Positions and Velocities?

What is relative motion?

Relative motion is the concept of describing an object's or observer's movement in relation to another object or observer. It takes into account the perspective and speed of both objects or observers.

How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Absolute motion refers to an object's movement in relation to a fixed point or reference frame. Relative motion, on the other hand, describes an object's movement in relation to another object or observer. It takes into account the perspective and speed of both objects or observers.

What is an example of relative motion?

An example of relative motion is two cars driving side by side on a highway. From the perspective of each driver, the other car appears to be moving in the opposite direction, even though both cars are actually moving in the same direction at the same speed relative to the road.

How is relative motion used in everyday life?

Relative motion is used in everyday life in a variety of ways, such as in navigation, transportation, and sports. It helps us understand and predict the movements of objects and people in relation to each other, which is essential for tasks like driving, flying, and playing team sports.

What are the key factors that affect relative motion?

The key factors that affect relative motion are the speed and direction of both objects or observers, as well as their position in relation to each other. Other factors such as wind, gravity, and friction may also play a role in certain situations.