1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Governing Equation for an electrical system

1. Oct 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2h4984o.png

2. Relevant equations
    Kirchoff's Voltage/Current Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first started by summing up the currents at node 1, which is the intersection of 3 wires at the top, and node 2, which is between the capacitor and inductor.
    So, at node 1: $$ \sum i = -i(t) + \frac{1}{R}V_1 + C\frac{d}{dt}(V_1 - V_2) = 0$$
    At node 2: $$ \sum i = -C\frac{d}{dt}(V_2 - V_1) + \frac{1}{L}\int_{-\infty}^t V_2 dt = 0 $$
    I also noted that $$ V_2 = V_L $$

So I have these two equations, but I am not sure how to easily get rid of the V_1 dependence. It's not as simple as just solving for V_1, is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Best not introduce more variables than is necessary. I think you'll find that your node 2 does not qualify for the exhaulted designation "node".

Express the voltage acoss the C + L combination in terms of their current, i2(t)

Express the voltage across R in terms of its current, i(t) - i2(t)

Equate the two expressions, and rearrange to give i2(t) in terms of i(t).

Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted