Governing Equation for an electrical system

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve for the current in a circuit using Kirchoff's Voltage and Current Laws. The equations at node 1 and node 2 are given, and the goal is to solve for the current i2(t) in terms of i(t). The solution involves expressing the voltage across C + L and R in terms of their currents and equating the two expressions to solve for i2(t).
mintsnapple

Homework Statement

2h4984o.png

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's Voltage/Current Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I first started by summing up the currents at node 1, which is the intersection of 3 wires at the top, and node 2, which is between the capacitor and inductor.
So, at node 1: $$ \sum i = -i(t) + \frac{1}{R}V_1 + C\frac{d}{dt}(V_1 - V_2) = 0$$
At node 2: $$ \sum i = -C\frac{d}{dt}(V_2 - V_1) + \frac{1}{L}\int_{-\infty}^t V_2 dt = 0 $$
I also noted that $$ V_2 = V_L $$

So I have these two equations, but I am not sure how to easily get rid of the V_1 dependence. It's not as simple as just solving for V_1, is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Best not introduce more variables than is necessary. I think you'll find that your node 2 does not qualify for the exhaulted designation "node".

Express the voltage acoss the C + L combination in terms of their current, i2(t)

Express the voltage across R in terms of its current, i(t) - i2(t)

Equate the two expressions, and rearrange to give i2(t) in terms of i(t).

Good luck!

What is the governing equation for an electrical system?

The governing equation for an electrical system is Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R): I = V/R.

How is Ohm's Law applied in an electrical system?

In an electrical system, Ohm's Law is used to calculate the amount of current flowing through a conductor when the voltage and resistance values are known. It can also be rearranged to calculate the voltage or resistance in a circuit.

What are the units of measurement for the variables in Ohm's Law?

The units for current (I) are measured in amperes (A), voltage (V) is measured in volts (V), and resistance (R) is measured in ohms (Ω).

What is the significance of Ohm's Law in electrical engineering?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in electrical engineering and is used to analyze and design electrical circuits. It helps engineers understand the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance and allows them to predict and control the behavior of electrical systems.

Are there any limitations to Ohm's Law?

While Ohm's Law is a useful tool in electrical engineering, it does have limitations. It assumes that the resistance of a conductor remains constant, which is not always the case. It also does not take into account the effects of temperature, which can impact the resistance of a material. Additionally, Ohm's Law is only applicable to linear circuits and does not accurately predict the behavior of non-linear elements such as diodes and transistors.