How to Calculate the Average Value of a Sinusoid Over a Given Interval?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 21K views
perryben
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
If I had a sinusoid, how would I find the average value of it over a given interval. Say -pi/5 to pi/5 for instance. Thanks everybody.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The average value of a function, say [tex]f(x),[/tex] over the interval [a,b] is given by the the formula

[tex]f_{\mbox{ave}}=\frac{1}{b-a}\int_{x=a}^{b}f(x)dx[/tex]

where I have assumed that [tex]f(x),[/tex] is properly integrable over [a,b].
 
The point is: if you had a constant function, f(x)= c, the "area under the curve" from a to b would f(x)(b-a)= c(b-a). With a variable function, that area is [tex]\int_a^b f(x)dx[/tex].

If fave is the average of the function we must have
[tex]\int_a^b f(x)dx= f_{ave}(b-a)[/tex]
 
If I had a sinusoid, how would I find the average value of it over a given interval. Say -pi/5 to pi/5 for instance. Thanks everybody.
The sine function is odd. Therefore the average over an interval symmetric around 0 will be 0.