How to Calculate the Expectation Value of x^2 in Quantum Mechanics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
jakeim86
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am given ψ(x), want to calculate [itex]<x^{2}>[/itex].



Homework Equations


[itex]\psi(x) = a\exp(ibx-(c/2)(x-d)^2)[/itex]
[itex]<x^2> = \int\limits_{-∞}^∞ \psi^*x^2\psi \mathrm{d}x[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


Well, I normalized the wave function and found [itex]a = (\frac{c}{\pi})^{1/4}[/itex].
So, the integral I have to do becomes:
[itex]<x^2> = \sqrt{\frac{c}{\pi}} \int\limits_{-∞}^∞ x^2\exp{(-c(x-d)^2)}\mathrm{d}x[/itex].

Since the function is neither even nor odd, there is no simple trick, and I had a hard time finding the exact integral in my table of integrals.

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest a change of variables. Try u = x-d

That should put it in a form where you could split it up then use an integral table.
 
then look up a table or formula for integrals of gaussians
 
Yeap, after you use y = x -d and split the integral in three: y^2*exp(ay) and d^2*exp(ay) and 2yd*exp(ay) its very easy. The first one gives (π/α)^(3/2) and the second one (π/α)^(1/2). The third one can be found through "derivative integration" if I call it correclty in english?
 
Ah, a simple u-substitution works. Thanks for the help everyone.