1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the force between magnets?

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1
    For example at the surface of both magnets, the field strength is 1.5Tesla. Suppose the top magnet plus the weight it's supporting is 1 Newton, what is the height that I need to separate both magnets of like facing poles so that the top magnet hovers?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2013 #2
    Hint: The magnetic field B by a given pole of a bar magnet at a point (assume unit north pole) r cm away from its centre is given by,

B= (μoqm/4π(r-l)2)

Where qm is the pole strength of bar magnet. l is the "half length" of the bar magnet.

Hence classically the force between two poles of bar magnet is defined by F = Bqm. This formula is valid if the poles are mere points.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  4. Sep 10, 2013 #3
    So what if the poles aren't points like in the example that I gave. Suppose the magnets facing each other are circular. Would the difference between points and a circle area of 3cm2 be significant? If so, then how would you calculate it? (Forgive me if this post was already answered. I used the search function and came up with nothing related to this situation).

5. Sep 10, 2013 #4
    What about intregrating the differential forces between differential areas on each magnet? Would it work? Do you know what I mean?

6. Sep 12, 2013 #5
    Yup I was also thinking the same, although I don't know how to do it. It's a bit above my math level.

7. Sep 12, 2013 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook