How to calculate the height of a skier

• Thread starter JiJiasd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary: Then use this velocity to find the height at the top of the hill using the formula h=v2sin2∅/2g.In summary, the problem involves calculating the height of a skier in a figure using potential and kinetic energy equations, without friction. The formula used is h = v^2 * sin^2(θ)/2g, where v is the velocity at the launch point. It is important to use the correct component of speed when calculating h and to not mix up the specific height in the problem with the generic h in the equation.
JiJiasd

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the height h of the skier in this figure
upload_2016-5-23_16-6-52.png

Homework Equations

potential energy and kinetic energy and there is no friction

The Attempt at a Solution

mgh = 0,5 *m*v^2
v=√ (2*g*h)

Now calculate the h when he goes up

mgh= 0,5 *m*√ (2*g*h)^2Am I doing right ?

Thanks
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
JiJiasd said:
Now calculate the h when he goes up

mgh= 0,5 *m*√ (2*g*h)^2
What you got is an identity. You need more information of the person on the top of the hill to get his condition, such as velocity~

mgh = 0,5 *m*v^2
v=√ (2*g*h)

This is right but after this, only calculate with its vertical component (v*sin(28 deg)), when calculating h.

tommyxu3 said:
What you got is an identity. You need more information of the person on the top of the hill to get his condition, such as velocity~
These informations are enough, you don't need more!

You only got an identity, because you didnt calculate with the right component of speed.

thank you all

You need to be careful with 'h'. There is a specific height in the problem which is labelled h, and there is the generic h in the equation gh=v2/2. Don't get them mixed up.
First, find the velocity at the launch point.

1. How do you calculate the height of a skier?

To calculate the height of a skier, you will need to measure the length of their skis and the angle of their knees. From there, you can use the tangent function to determine their height.

2. What equipment do I need to calculate the height of a skier?

You will need a measuring tape or ruler to measure the length of the skis, and a protractor or angle measuring tool to determine the angle of the skier's knees.

3. Can I use a formula to calculate the height of a skier?

Yes, you can use the following formula: height = ski length / tan(angle of knees). This will give you the height of the skier in the same units as the ski length.

4. Is there a more accurate way to calculate the height of a skier?

Using the tangent function will give you a fairly accurate estimation of the skier's height. However, for a more precise measurement, you can also measure the distance between the ground and the skier's hips while they are standing straight.

5. Can I use this method to calculate the height of any skier?

Yes, this method can be used to calculate the height of any skier, as long as you have accurate measurements of their ski length and knee angle.