How to calculate the integral as a limit of sum?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
PrakashPhy
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The problem is to find the integral of function [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] using the definition i.e the area under the curve as a limit of a sum?



Homework Equations


[itex]\int_a^b \frac{1}{x} dx = ln(\frac{b}{a})[/itex]



The Attempt at a Solution


I tried with dividing the interval [a,b] into n parts such that [itex]h=\frac{b-a}{n}[/itex] but what I got was a too vague expression of the sum.

[itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow ∞} \frac{b-a}{n} = h[/itex]
now
[itex]\int_a^b \frac{1}{x} dx = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\bigg[ \frac{1}{a}×h+\frac{1}{a+h}×h+\frac{1}{a+2h}×h^2...\bigg][/itex]

how do I proceed now
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PrakashPhy said:

Homework Statement



The problem is to find the integral of function [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] using the definition i.e the area under the curve as a limit of a sum?



Homework Equations


[itex]\int_a^b \frac{1}{x} dx = ln(\frac{b}{a})[/itex]



The Attempt at a Solution


I tried with dividing the interval [a,b] into n parts such that [itex]h=\frac{b-a}{n}[/itex] but what I got was a too vague expression of the sum.

[itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow ∞} \frac{b-a}{n} = h[/itex]
now
[itex]\int_a^b \frac{1}{x} dx = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\bigg[ \frac{1}{a}×h+\frac{1}{a+h}×h+\frac{1}{a+2h}×h^2...\bigg][/itex]

how do I proceed now

So is the idea that you should end up with the power series for ln(x)?
 
Something like that; probably some limit of [itex]ln(x)[/itex] because [itex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}[/itex] is there intact throughout.
 
Last edited:
PrakashPhy said:

Homework Statement



The problem is to find the integral of function [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] using the definition i.e the area under the curve as a limit of a sum?

Homework Equations


[itex]\int_a^b \frac{1}{x} dx = ln(\frac{b}{a})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried with dividing the interval [a,b] into n parts such that [itex]h=\frac{b-a}{n}[/itex] but what I got was a too vague expression of the sum.

[itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow ∞} \frac{b-a}{n} = h[/itex]
now
[itex]\int_a^b \frac{1}{x} dx = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\bigg[ \frac{1}{a}×h+\frac{1}{a+h}×h+\frac{1}{a+2h}×h^2...\bigg][/itex]

how do I proceed now
Maybe that's a typo, but that h should not be squared in your last line.

[itex]\int_a^b \frac{1}{x} dx = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\bigg[ \frac{1}{a}×h+\frac{1}{a+h}×h+\frac{1}{a+2h}×h^2...\bigg][/itex]

should be

[itex]\int_a^b \frac{1}{x} dx = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\bigg[ \frac{1}{a}×h+\frac{1}{a+h}×h+\frac{1}{a+2h}×h ...\bigg][/itex]