How to Calculate the Radius of the Second Sphere in a Conductor Problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter xsc614
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Conductors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
xsc614
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A spherical conductor of radius R1 is charged to 28 kV. When it is connected by a long, very thin conducting wire to a second conducting sphere far away, its potential drops to 12 kV. What is the radius of the second sphere as a multiple of R1?


Homework Equations


V=kq/r
k=8.99e9


The Attempt at a Solution


Seems like it should be pretty simple. I just assigned variables q1=q2, k1=k2, v1=28kV and v2=12kV and solved for r (r=kq/V). Then compared the values of R. Webassign is giving me an incorrect answer. There was a similar problem and the book and using the books numbers i got R2=.6 R1 and the solutions manual said 2/3 R1 so I'm not sure if it's a rounding error or what. Just wanted to make sure I was doing it right since I only have 1 try left on webassign before I get locked out and lose easy points.

Thanks for any help in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org