1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the speed of an object attached to a string

1. Dec 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question and the known/given variables are on the image in part 3. The question says that a 20-g bead is attached to a light 120 cm-long string. Now in my mind the bead will travel in a circular path if it is pushed really hard. So Isn't the length of the string, 120 cm, the radius of the circle? In my work, I had to solve for the radius. I found a solution online and this is their work. The correct answer is 1.1 m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    It's in part 3 in the image.

3. The attempt at a solution
    https://myhpu-my.sharepoint.com/per...R0RpKa0PGg&e=cf5a0f07109f401fb33a7a681a70fc4a

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The bead rotates in 3 D while keeping its height. It is not a typical pendulum. The r in the lower left part of the image is the horizontal separation of the object - the radius of the horizontal motion. It is a bit confusing that the same variable name is used again.

Edit: Picture for future reference:
    physics question.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. Dec 5, 2017 #3
    Wow, it makes so much sense now! Thanks!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted