How to calculate the total resistance in this circuit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
Adel Makram
Messages
632
Reaction score
15

Homework Statement


How to calculate the value of total resistance RT in the shown circuit?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I used Kirchhoff` first law: i1+i2=I where i1, i2 and I are the current passing through R1, R2 and the total current in the circuit, respectively.
similarly, i4+i5=I,
i1+i3=i4
i3+i5=i2
Then I used Kirchhoff` second law,
20 i1+10 i4=V0
10 i2+20 i5=V0.
 
Attachments
  • circuit.png
    circuit.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
Given that you have not specified any points from which to take the Rth, you have an incomplete problem statement and as such it has no answer.
 
phinds said:
Given that you have not specified any points from which to take the Rth, you have an incomplete problem statement and as such it has no answer.
I edited the figure after puting labels of currents and points of intersection.
 
Attachments
  • circuit.png
    circuit.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 393
I tried this as well,
considering the contour that includes i1 and i4
$$ 20 i_1 + 10 i_4=V_0 $$
considering the contour that includes i2 and i5
$$ 10 i_2 + 20 i_5=V_0$$
multiplying the second equation by 2 and collect term $$(i_1 + i_2)$$.
$$ 20(i_1 + i_2) + 10 i_4 +i_5=3V_0 $$
divide on $$ I=i_1+i_2 $$ and consider $$ R_T=\frac{V_0}{I} $$
$$ 3R_T=20+\frac{10 i_4}{I}+\frac{40 i_5}{I} $$
 
Adel Makram said:
I edited the figure after puting labels of currents and points of intersection.
And you STILL haven't specified any points on which to base an Rth.
 
phinds said:
And you STILL haven't specified any points on which to base an Rth.
What do you mean by specific point to base an Rth?
 
Adel Makram said:
What do you mean by specific point to base an Rth?
Do you understand what a Thevenin Equivalent circuit IS? When your question said find Rt, and there is no Rt specified in your diagram, I assumed you meant Rth, the Thevenin Equivalent resistance. Did you mean something else?
 
Adel Makram said:
I meant the total resistance of the circuit.
Based on what ?

If you mean what is seen by the power supply, you have to say so. If that is what you mean then you would profit by looking up delta-Y transforms.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Adel Makram
That is great thank you.
So transforming Δ circuit to Y circuit as in the diagram,
Transforming the Δ component on the right side of the circuit to Y-component yields,
$$R_1=\frac{R_a R_c}{R_a+R_b+R_c}$$
$$R_2=\frac{R_b R_c}{R_a+R_b+R_c}$$
$$R_3=\frac{R_a R_b}{R_a+R_b+R_c}$$
so, $$R_1=\frac{10}{4}$$
$$R_2=5$$
$$R_3=5$$
simplifying the circuit now yields,
the left side of the circuit is a parallel circuit while the right side is series one.
the resistance of the left side is $$R=\frac{(20+\frac{10}{4})(15)}{(20+\frac{10}{4})+(15)}=9$$
summing to the right side of the circuit with a R=5 yields 9+5=14.
 
Attachments
  • delta-Y circuit.png
    delta-Y circuit.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 422