How to calculate the weight of a submerged hollow cylinder?

Main Question or Discussion Point

A hollow cylinder (2 tons) is dipped in a chemical tank using hoist crane for treatment purpose.
Can anyone please help me to show how to calculate the maximum weight of the submerged hollow cylinder when it is being pulled up because I need to choose the correct lifting capacity for the crane. Is it related to the buoyant force? I need to know the maximum weight of the water inside the hollow that the crane need to lift. Thank you.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Is there a way the water can be caught in the cylinder at all ? Looks to me it can flow out easily, so all you need to worry about is the mass of the steel pipe.
Proivded it goes slow enough.

the hollow cylinder is totally submerged in the chemical tank in a horizontal position so the crane will pull up not only the cylinder but also the water inside the hollow and when it reach the surface the water will flow out from the cylinder which will make it lighter. Can i just calculate the mass of the water based on the hollow dimension or is there any relation with buoyant force?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Crane doesn't lift the water (it flows out sideways), so pipe mass is basically all it has to pull.