How to calculate the weight of a submerged hollow cylinder?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum weight of a submerged hollow cylinder in a chemical tank, using a hoist crane. The weight is affected by the buoyant force and the mass of the water inside the cylinder, which will flow out when it reaches the surface. The crane only needs to account for the mass of the steel pipe, as the water will flow out sideways. There is a question about whether the mass of the water can be calculated based on the dimensions of the hollow cylinder or if it is related to the buoyant force.
shaufie
A hollow cylinder (2 tons) is dipped in a chemical tank using hoist crane for treatment purpose.
Can anyone please help me to show how to calculate the maximum weight of the submerged hollow cylinder when it is being pulled up because I need to choose the correct lifting capacity for the crane. Is it related to the buoyant force? I need to know the maximum weight of the water inside the hollow that the crane need to lift. Thank you.

Attachments

• hollow cylinder.JPG
    hollow cylinder.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,724
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is there a way the water can be caught in the cylinder at all ? Looks to me it can flow out easily, so all you need to worry about is the mass of the steel pipe.
Proivded it goes slow enough.

the hollow cylinder is totally submerged in the chemical tank in a horizontal position so the crane will pull up not only the cylinder but also the water inside the hollow and when it reach the surface the water will flow out from the cylinder which will make it lighter. Can i just calculate the mass of the water based on the hollow dimension or is there any relation with buoyant force?

Crane doesn't lift the water (it flows out sideways), so pipe mass is basically all it has to pull.

1. How do I calculate the weight of a submerged hollow cylinder?

To calculate the weight of a submerged hollow cylinder, you will need to use the formula W = π * r^2 * h * ρ, where W is the weight, π is approximately 3.14, r is the radius of the cylinder, h is the height of the cylinder, and ρ is the density of the fluid in which the cylinder is submerged. You will also need to know the density of the material the cylinder is made of, which can be found in a materials density table.

2. What is the difference between a submerged hollow cylinder and a solid cylinder when calculating weight?

The main difference between a submerged hollow cylinder and a solid cylinder when calculating weight is that the submerged hollow cylinder has a void space inside, while the solid cylinder does not. This void space affects the overall weight calculation, as it changes the volume and density of the cylinder.

3. How does the depth of the cylinder in the fluid affect the weight calculation?

The depth of the cylinder in the fluid does not affect the weight calculation. The weight of the submerged hollow cylinder is solely based on its dimensions (radius and height), the density of the material it is made of, and the density of the fluid in which it is submerged.

4. Can I use this formula to calculate the weight of any submerged object?

This formula is specifically for calculating the weight of a submerged hollow cylinder. If you want to calculate the weight of a different shape, you will need to use a different formula. However, the concept of using the density of the object and the density of the fluid to calculate weight can be applied to other submerged objects.

5. What if the submerged hollow cylinder is not completely submerged?

If the submerged hollow cylinder is not completely submerged, you will need to adjust the height (h) in the weight calculation formula to reflect the actual height of the submerged portion of the cylinder. This will give you a more accurate weight calculation for the partially submerged cylinder.