How to calculate the height submerged of cylinder

In summary, to calculate the height of a cylinder that is submerged in water, you need to find the volume of the water displaced and then use equation (9) to find the height.
lakmalp
A hollow cylinder (but not open ended) is allowed to float on a liquid. Can anyone please help me how to calculate the height (h) it submerge? I want to get a relationship between height and cylinder weight.

I can calculate the volume of submerged part. But no idea how to derive a formula with weight and height.

Attachments

• drawing.GIF
    drawing.GIF
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,174
Engineering news on Phys.org
The formula you have derived for the volume of the submerged part should have an h in it - that's the unknown you want to find right? So the volume submerged is a function of height.

V=f(h)

Presumably you also know the mass of the cylender M and the density p of the water?

By Archimedes: the cylinder floats when M=pV ... solve for h.

I think you misunderstood what I said. Sorry for being not descriptive.

Since I know the weight of cylinder, I can calculate volume of the water displaced. But it doesn't contain 'h' in it.

I am struggling to get 'h' into this volume,i.e. I want to know f(h)

Show me your formula for the volume of the submerged part of the cylinder.

Vwaterwater.g = mcylinder.g
Vwater = mcylinderwater

Oh I see what you mean ...
That is only the volume of water that has the same mass as the cylinder - which is only the volume of cylinder submerged if the cylinder floats. That's the condition you need to find h. You need to also find the volume in terms of h.

The submerged volume of the cylinder is AL (the area of the cylinder end that is under water multiplied by the length of the cylinder). The area will depend on R (radius of the cylinder) and h.

You can work that out by calculus or just look it up.
Then you put the volume of the cylinder found this way equal to the volume of water you already have.

Yeah, that's where I am stuck at.

V = L[itex]\int A(h)dh[/itex]

I was not able to find A(h) so far. Anyway I'll have a look again whether I can find any relationship. I'll post what I have done so far a little later.

I couldn't go much far...

If [itex]l[/itex] is length of cylinder,

[itex]y·sin\theta=2r-x[/itex]

[itex]y=\frac{2r-x}{sin\theta}[/itex]

[itex]Area=2·y·cos\theta·l[/itex]

[itex]=2·\frac{2r-x}{sin\theta}·cos\theta·l[/itex]

[itex]=2·(2r-x)·cot\theta·l[/itex]

[itex]Volume=\int ^{0}_{\frac{\pi}{2}} 2(2r-x)·cot\theta·l·d\theta[/itex]

How can I get a relationship between [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex]? Please let me know whether my approach is correct and what should I do from hereon.

Attachments

• cylinder.GIF
    cylinder.GIF
    3.3 KB · Views: 965
I think I found the answer. It is so simple than I thought :)

Circular Segment

Equation (9) is the solution :)

Yep - that's the one ... you should have done the integral in rectangular coords.
But you should also check the proportion of the cylinder that is submerged ... which is an easier calculation.

Thank Simon. I'll look into that and will post what I found.

1. How do I calculate the height submerged of a cylinder?

The height submerged of a cylinder can be calculated by first finding the volume of the cylinder, then dividing it by the cross-sectional area of the cylinder. This will give you the height of the submerged portion of the cylinder.

2. What is the formula for calculating the height submerged of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the height submerged of a cylinder is: h = V/A, where h is the height submerged, V is the volume of the cylinder, and A is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder.

3. How do I find the volume of a cylinder?

The volume of a cylinder can be calculated by using the formula V = πr2h, where V is the volume, π is the mathematical constant pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius of the cylinder, and h is the height of the cylinder.

4. How do I determine the cross-sectional area of a cylinder?

The cross-sectional area of a cylinder can be found by using the formula A = πr2, where A is the cross-sectional area and r is the radius of the cylinder. This will give you the area of the circular base of the cylinder.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the height submerged of any cylinder?

Yes, the formula h = V/A can be used to calculate the height submerged of any cylinder, as long as you have the correct values for the volume and cross-sectional area of the cylinder. However, this formula assumes that the cylinder is fully submerged in the liquid.